Author Topic: Brick wall Henderson and Tinline  (Read 3014 times)

Offline alem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brick wall Henderson and Tinline
« on: Monday 15 May 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information re Thomas Henderson who married Isabella TINLINE/ TINLIN at Bowden on the 29th August, 1854 by Rev. Thomas THORNTON of (quote) F.Ch. Orwell.

Banns re marriage posted at St Cuthberts, Edinburgh wherein Thomas was resident at N0 9 East Sceinnes Street, parish of St. Cuthberts.   His occupation being a joiner journeyman.

His age on his death certificate he was born about 1834.  I have no indication as to his parents or place of birth.

Any assistance or advice greatly appreciated.

Alem

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall Henderson and Tinline
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Alem

I can see on IGI at least two sons born to this couple:

1. GEORGE HENDERSON  Birth: 29 JUL 1856 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
2. JOHN TINLINE HENDERSON Birth: 06 JAN 1860 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

There are also details of their marriage which includes the name of Isabella's father:

ISABELLA TINLIN     Parents: Father: GEORGE TINLIN    
Marriages: Spouse:     THOMAS HENDERSON    
Marriage:  29 AUG 1854  Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

This also looks like a possible for Isabella's birth/christening:

ISABELLA TINLINE  Birth: 01 APR 1830  Christening: 22 APR 1830 Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland Parents: Father: GEORGE TINLINE Mother: MARGARET DICKIESON

In respect of Thomas Henderson, there are a number of possibles for him in the 1841 FreeCen census and IGI but without more details, it is not possible to be more definite.

Have you seen the death cert for Thomas that you refer to, were there no parents' details on it?

I would probably in your position try to find the family in the 1861 census with the info you have to date to narrow down Thomas's birth place and year. You might also get further clues from the names of his children.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
                     Thank you for your reply.  I have particulars of Thomas and Isabella"s three sons born in Scotland.

Isabella and her sons are on the 1861 Scotland census but Thomas is not residing with them.

I have the whole  in Northumberland in the 1871 census.

Thomas died in Northumberland and the death certificate does not include the names of his parents.

I have a copy of the banns for Thomas and Isabella's marriage and is stated therein that the marriage took place on the 29th August, 1854 at Bowden.

As suggested I will have to trawl the 1861 census again. It appears to be the only way in which I may glean some inkling as to where Thomas has his roots.

Again many thanks.

Alem

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
Alem

To help you try and find Thomas's parents, you may find that Thomas and Isabella followed Scottish naming patterns for their children, not always followed to the letter but a good guide:

For sons:
1st son after paternal grandfather
2nd son after maternal grandfather
3rd son after Father
4th son after the father's eldest brother.

For daughters:
1st daughter after maternal grandmother
2nd daughter after paternal grandmother
3rd daughter after mother
4th daughter after the mother's eldest sister.

Also, if you're lucky (!), the use of family surnames as middle names for children can also help you determine family lines.

They married in 1854 and the first child showing for them on IGI was George, who would have been named after Isabella's father.  I don't know if they had a child before George or if John was their next born son.

In some families, the naming pattern is as clear as day and you can pick out grandparents' names easily enough. Not a 100% in all cases, but a useful guide nevertheless.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

As far as I can see, from the info I have, George was the first born, in 1856, (but could be wrong).  The next son born 1858 was Robert James. Next was John Tinline in 1860., all born Scotland.

There were four other sons born and one daughter. The latter was named Margaret, after Isabella's mother.

I do not think that they followed the Scottish naming patterns.

Alem