Author Topic: Lillian Rush b about 1892  (Read 13514 times)

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lillian Rush b about 1892
« on: Thursday 27 September 12 19:06 BST (UK) »
Help me, rootschat. You're my only hope. I am at the end of my tether trying to find info on my ancestor, Lilian Althea Evans nee Rush, born according to the 1911 census, in Cornall in 1892. The only other information I can find on her is a birth certificate for her child, Richard Henry Charles Evans in 1910, that has her maiden name as Rush.  After many online searches, including of  genealogy sites, the Cornish OPC project and FreeBMD I have found nothing apart from 2 baptism entries for her children, Alice Maud and the aforementioned Richard Henry. Her husband is recorded as George Henry Evans, also Cornish.

Any information is very gratefully received as I am completely stuck.

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lillian Rush b about 1892
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found her in the 1901 census:
RG13/2216/45 p 19  Cornwall

Frederick J Evans   42
Elsie Evans   41
Mary Evans   15
Nellie Evans   13
Dora Evans   11
Lilian Evans   9 b Truro
Maria Evans   8

Do you think this is her?
Rowland family of Youlgreave/Bakewell, Andrew family of Bradwell, Gascoigne family of South Yorkshire and Saxby family of Hull/Lincoln. Families in Bradwell, Hope, Castleton etc. (Hope Valley), Derbyshire.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 September 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found her in the 1901 census:

Name:   Lilian Evans

She was Lilian Rush who married George Evans

Lilian Althea Evans nee Rush
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
On the tree I found it on her father was listed as Fredrick J RUSH, while her mother was Elsie EVANS. Lillian's siblings all had the surname RUSH, while hers was EVANS. It also had her marriage George Henry Evans and their children.
Rowland family of Youlgreave/Bakewell, Andrew family of Bradwell, Gascoigne family of South Yorkshire and Saxby family of Hull/Lincoln. Families in Bradwell, Hope, Castleton etc. (Hope Valley), Derbyshire.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 September 12 21:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry - don't trust anybody else's version of a tree

From freebmd

Births September qtr 1891 EVANS  Lilian     Truro  5c 140

If her father was Frederick Rush - why are they shown as Evans on the 1901 census

Lillian's siblings all had the surname RUSH

From freebmd

Births December qtr 1889 
EVANS  Dora    Truro  5c 144

The free 1911 index on GRU shows her birthplace as Michaeltowe which came under the Camelford registration district

The GRU index also shows a Lilian Evans b 1892 Truro living in Wells

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 September 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, I am a little confused. I do think you may be on to something   though, in terms of names, as I cannot find any record of a Lillian Rush matching her dob and name in the county. The census for 1911 has her place of birth as Michaelstow http://cornish-place-names.wikidot.com/michaelstow#toc0

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
Compare this 1891 household to the 1901 household:

Kenwyn, Cornwall
Newham House

James Evans 32 - farmer, born Bodmin
Eliza 31 - wife, born Truro
Freddy 7 - all children born Truro (as ditto to Eliza)
Mary 5
Nellie 3
Dora 1

Same folks. In 1901, they just all got "ditto"ed to the father's place of birth, Bodmin. They seem to have suffered a fall in fortunes: father was an agricultural worker and mother a cattle woman in 1901.

Probably Frederick James Evans and Eliza Ann Matthews, married 1881 Truro.

The daughter Lilian was born after the 1891 census.

I'm kind of doubting that this Evans family does have anything to do with yours.

"Lillian's siblings all had the surname RUSH, while hers was EVANS."

Can you tell us the names of the siblings? To help, people really do need to have all the info you have (even if it turns out to be false ;) ).

If you could also explain your connection with her, so we have an idea of what you might know / have access to, it would also help -- e.g. what father's name did her children give when they married, when did she die and do you have any info about her death, do you know anything about George Henry Evans, etc.

At 19 in 1911 with a two-year-old daughter (she is the Alice Maud reg'd 1909 Camelford?), Lilian was too young to marry in the ordinary course before she got pregnant, and I don't see a marriage for them. The surname "Rush" may have been a ruse connected somehow with her youth.

There are three more Evans-Rush births in Camelford: 1911, 1913 and 1915, one with the wonderful name Lylock.

Btw, Lilian/Lillian ... they are confused all the time (I have several in my families) and they can also result from a young woman's decision in the early 1900s to fancify her name (from the more "common" Lily).
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 12 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi JaneyCanuck

Thankyou for your help

The info about sibling names isn't my post. The only information I have is included in the top post. Her birthname from her child's birth certificate Lillian Althea Rush. You may be entirely right about the false name. The Alice Maud in Camelford is one of mine- I am pondering if the others including Lylock are mine, too. Lilac for Lylock maybe...

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 12 00:59 BST (UK) »
Edit - I just clued in. The info about sibling names wasn't in a post by you.

Maybe we can all just get some directions to the tree, or a list of the sibs with their info.

The info may be false, but that has to be checked!

Since there is no Evans-Rudh marriage ever, and since the three Evans-Rush births are in Camelford within four years after the 1911 census where the other two Evans-Rush births appear, I can't imagine that they are not the same parents (or at least that the same parents are not named on the birth certificates). I haven't checked whether any of them died in infancy/childhood.

I understand if you do not want to give a lot of information more recent than that; I am the same way. Maybe you could say you do or don't know things, though: do you know whether a child of the couple named a father on their marriage certificate, and whether it was George Henry Evans? for example.

And in particular, do you know where and when Lilian died, and what her name was at the time? If she died after 1969, her age at death would be stated in the index; there are reasons for asking questions like this! If she is your ancestor and one of the children is your ancestor, was the child reared by someone else? Charles died in 1998; he had no memory of / information about her?

Seriously, it's very frustrating for someone trying to help to be doing it with one hand tied behind their back, if you do have info that could guide searches for the person.

There was a Lillie Rush born in Camelford reg dist in 1882, who married in 1903. Daughter of Philip and Jane, lived in Tintagel, Camelford reg dist. She was with husband William Herbert Nute in 1911.

Oh, and the Lillian Evans from 1891 and 1901, daughter of Frederick James and Elsie Ann, is with them in Somerset in 1911. So she's ruled out.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?