Author Topic: Syl? Doyle birth cert  (Read 1999 times)

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Syl? Doyle birth cert
« on: Wednesday 01 October 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been away for a while chipping away at a few brick walls but I think I need help. I am trying to find my grandad's birth cert. He was born the 6th December 1927 to Myra Owens and Sylvester Doyle. I was under the seemingly false impression that my grandad was also called Sylvester but I can't find a cert for him. My dad said he was sometimes called Barry but I can't find a cert with that name either. Any ideas how to find him? Is it possible to search for children born to Myra in 1927?

I am sure someone has the answer, it's not me though.

Thanks in advance,
Amy
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Syl? Doyle birth cert
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Have you been to the GRO Offices to check ?

The problem is that online records only show the Mum's maiden name from about 1928 / 1929 / 1930 so you JUST missed out.

Sometimes people hadn't decided on a name when they were registering a child's birth so he could have been registered as MALE DOYLE.

The problem is that Doyle is a common surname :

Here are a list of all the possibilities :

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Amale~%20%2Bsurname%3Adoyle~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Aireland~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1927-1927~

You can rule out if you are SURE that he was registered either Northside or Southside

You can also rule out those registed PRIOR to December 1927.

Now, the other issue that you are up against is the month that he was born in ie December 1927.

His parent's could have been late and his birth MAY actually show up in 1928

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Amale~%20%2Bsurname%3Adoyle~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Aireland~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1928-1928~

Looking there though there is NO Owens option.

It COULD work out expensive to get the certs in the hope that one of them has a Mum's maiden name of Owens.

The other way to look at it is 'Do you REALLY need his birth cert' ?

You KNOW his date of birth, you KNOW his parent's names, the cert won't give you much more other than an address at the time.

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
If you could get into G R O Werburgh Street the birth index books give actual date of birth on the index books so it would only be a matter of looking for Doyle/Owens birth for 1927 if you are positive of the year.

Added
Dont forget to check Jan March 1928 due to his Dec birthday.
OOPS just noticed Tara already said that.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
As his parents were married i presume in Apr June 1924 Dublin South i would check out each Sylvester born after that date including the one born Oct Dec 1924 Dublin South in case for some reason along the line his year of birth was mixed up particularly if he came from a large family as happened in my case when getting married my wife had celebrated her 21st the year before and i had to get her baptismal cert for our marriage so when it was'nt found for the year i was given the priest looked a year either side of that year and found that she was only 21 not 22 so these things do happen in large families.This was my first ever step into the mysteries of genealogy.,
Do you know where he stands in comparison to his siblings ie eldest ,middle or other any way give this some thought but do not ignore Tara's advice re Male Doyle's for same period.

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Tara and Dathai thanks for the advice. I can't get near the GRO for the time being but that may be the way to go. Dathai, I got the cert for Sylvester born 1924 but it's not my grandad. I don't know his position in the family, I'll ask my dad if he knows. Tara, I know I don't NEED his cert as I have most of the info it would provide but it's the address I am interested in. Typical isn't it? I will have a look at the list you put up and see if I can rule anyone out.

Thanks for all the help guys,
Amy

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy

Is it just general curiosity as to where the family were living at the time or is it something more specific ?

If there is a specific interest in the actual address then would you like to tell us to see if we can help ?

Tara

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 October 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara, it's just a general curiosity. I'll get back to my nan and dad and see if they can rack their brains for me.

Thanks again,
Amy

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 October 14 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy,

Isn't it always the way, that the ONE cert that we REALLY want is elusive.

I suppose it's up to you now as to how much time AND expense you want to go to to try and find it (bearing in mind that his birth MAY not even have been registered ~ it happens)

Best of Luck

Tara