Author Topic: Anyone have "Gwendolene Mabel Stevens" in their tree?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have "Gwendolene Mabel Stevens" in their tree?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 January 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
You guys are awesome!  I cast the bread upon the water and look what you did with it!  I will pass that on to the Gisborne Herald - or I may wait till I'm back in Auckland so I can see if there are some living rellies who would be interested in visiting that little girl...

Thanks all!!!

;)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline frances jackson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 14 00:18 BST (UK) »
I  lived on Hauturu Station in 1970s and visited the house by the Mata river where Gwendoline's grave is. Three cousins that owned the station came to visit every year until it was sold. Ronald Cooper married to Jean Stevens of Gisbourne was the supervisor of the station. My husband was the manager. Jean was related to the owners and they told us all about the family life in the old homestead and about the little girl being burnt in the fire and dying of shock.
regards Frances Jackson

Offline frances jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 June 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
To anyone interested in Gwendoline Stevens. Hauturu Station is now part of Huaruia station, covered in pine trees down by the river.  A track was bull dozed to get to the house from the top at Hauturu station in the 1970s. I have no idea how you would get to the house or if it still stands today. It was a big villa with a ballroom tennis court etc. Perhaps inquiries could be made at Huaruia station manager. The Williams family bought Hauturu Station in the 1970s.
I do not research this family but thought someone may have been interested. Maggie Black of Auckland was one of the cousin owners when i was at Hauturu Station.
Frances 

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 June 14 01:22 BST (UK) »
That's so great that this one has a story to put with it.  Poor wee thing!
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Glendawindle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 July 15 01:13 BST (UK) »
 Hi I am trying to locate a photo of Gwendoline. Is there anyone out there who maybe able to help.