Author Topic: Flora Swan  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flora Swan
« on: Tuesday 04 November 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
This is my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother born about 1828 in Kirkmahoe Dumfriesshire, dies 1872.

I found from a tree on ancestry that her parents were William Swan and Mary Beck, but I would like to prove it for certain.

She married Andrew Hyslop in Torthorwald,Dumfries in 1849, so it is not her with John and Margaret Swan in 1851 (most people seem to think they were her parents). However I can't find her in 1841, so it is rather difficult.

Any ideas?  :o
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Flora Swan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
If you get a copy of her death certificate that should list her parent's names you will get this at www.scotlandspeople .gov if you have not used this site before it will cost £7.00 for 30 credits a search and certificate will use 6 credits and you can download the image right away ...

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I had forgotten that, if I ever knew it - good value, will have a go.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Have seen 2  tree's one with parents John Swan and Margaret Dalziel the other William Swan and Mary Beck ...I noticed on the 1851 census her first child is called Mary ? so I would definitely get a copy of her death just to make sure  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Death cert has William and Mary as parents.

Her parents are in Kirkmahoe in 1841:

East Woodside, Kirkmahoe
William Swan, 45, ag lab
Mary, 45
James, 9
Jane Ann, 7

All b. Dumfriesshire

Her death record has her as 48, so born circa 1824.

Here's a possible for her - a bit older but could be transcribed wrongly - 19 could be 17 -

Abbey, Holywood, Dumfries
(Household of of Robert Covin Colvin*, a farmer)
Flora Swan, 19, Female Servant, b. Dumfriesshire

* laptop's on it's last legs and the letters don't always register  ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Gadget, I hadn't managed to look for the death certificate yet. I couldn't find her in 1841 but that looks like a strong possibility. Flora is in the 1871 with my Great Grandmother as a baby, she died the following year. It looks like she had an interesting brother.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS/edge_SwanJames/history/swanJ-history1.asp

I only found out about the brother today, so wanted to be sure (as you ever can be) about her parents.

Jopeg

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 14 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to say Flora Swan is the daughter of Mary Beck and William Swan and this has opened up a whole new branch of the tree in the USA.

So thanks for the help.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 14 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know good luck with your branch :D :D

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Various Swans
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 November 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
My possible ancestor James Swan had was born in 1746 to a James and Jan(n)et Swan, looking them up it seems that Janet was a Swan before marriage as well as after.

The entry from IGI shows them to be married on 17 February 1743 in Kirkmahoe and gives Janet's father as William Swan.

However on the transcription from Scotland's People there is no father listed, could there be another transcription or is there another explanation.

I would really like it to be William, so quite frustrating!