Author Topic: PARIS FAMILY shairp connection  (Read 8319 times)

Offline zep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PARIS FAMILY shairp connection
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 June 14 01:49 BST (UK) »
...time travel...smiles..shame we don't descend from h.g wells for this :) actually I was so inspired I randomly searched  Pares last night and found a couple of births in uphall that I hadn't seen before..jhone pareis christened 17 Feb 1635 father thomas  and girsall or maybe grissall pareis chr.11 April 1635 father Archibald. I wondered if grissall was a derivation of Giselle. I don't see an immediate connection to my line but I dare say possible. My earliest paris is James who married Isobel Hardie ( so your info actually gave me their residence ) .It is their son James that I descend from (born 1724 uphall ) who married Isobell Fleming .It is their youngest son Thomas (born 1773) that is my first discovered incident of Shairp middle name.However I descend from his brother John (born 1754) and this is the odd thing the shairp middle name continues in Johns child and continues through over 100 years...although it was his brother thomas who had the name....hence the mystery.
I would love to find the father of my James Paris who married Isobel Hardie ( born18  may 1694 tilli county clackmanan) but I had more luck finding her parents and grandparents which included a Dewar and a Campbell .Funnily enough by 1898 I have an Alexander Shairp Paris born in woolwich. It seems my great grandfather was the one who finally stopped using the name although it may have continued with one of his brothers line. If by any chance you have seen or can set me in the right direction to go back further with my Paris' that would be wonderful.It seems from those letters that they rented a fair amount of land..Bracelet Hall sounded interesting...have always been drawn to the Tudor/stuart period ...hoping my dates and info may help unravel this mystery.would love to hear more of your Alexander too...
TOWN of sussex
PAVEY of bristol and cardiff
PARIS of w.lothian/fife/greenwich
CONSTABLE of kent

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 June 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
At one time "Grissel/Girsel" and all its variant spellings was a fairly common name in Scotland. It has no connection whatsoever with the name "Grace", but by the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries you start to see many girls baptised "Grissel" turning into "Grace" in records made later in their lives. You find the same with "Isobel/Isabel". As the 19th century goes on, most "Isabels" turn into "Isabellas".

Offline arcona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 June 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
We're going to solve this mystery yet!!!  I'm curious as to who Isabel Hardie's mother is.  Do you have her name and birth date and/or birthplace?  Also, do you have any siblings for her.  I'm wondering if someone in that family gave birth to a Shairp outside of marriage.  I'm chasing the female members because  I have a few Shairps without a known mother.  My ancestor, Alexander Shairp (b. 1686), is stated several places to be Thomas Shairp's son (in one document) and second son in another.  Yet in the Sasine's and birth records, Thomas only has two daughters and no sons.  Also, my Alexander has a son William (no birth date) but it does not appear to be by his wife, Marion Bell.  Curiouser and curiouser.   I look forward to your reply.
Shairp of Houston in Lothians

Offline zep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 June 14 02:19 BST (UK) »
Oh fab ! At last I can send something to you! :)
Isobel Hardie mother Margaret Dewar marr.John Hardie...no bdate for Margaret but John Hardie born 1665 alloa. His parents were Robert Hardie and Marion Campbell.
Isobel's siblings James b. 1688 and Margaret b.1692 all born Tilli country Clackmannan.
Isobel and James Paris children were all born in uphall but as I cannot find James parents or the marriage  I don't know at what point Isobel left clackmannon for uphall ....their  children were all born between 1718 and   1736.
Thomas  Shairp Paris was the child of James Paris (james and isobel hardies child) and Isobell Fleming born 12 may 1734 anstruther wester.
I noticed there was a Fleming mentioned in those estate records wondered if a connection....
TOWN of sussex
PAVEY of bristol and cardiff
PARIS of w.lothian/fife/greenwich
CONSTABLE of kent