Author Topic: Peter Maguire born 1806  (Read 19006 times)

Offline tomerong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Maguire born 1806
« on: Monday 19 April 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
I am after information on peter maguire born 1806 and transported to Australia in 1829 and settled in milton NSW. Any information about his family in Ireland and Australia would be great.

dave

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Maguire born 1806
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 10 12:59 BST (UK) »
Do you know where in Co. Westmeath (i.e parish, town or townland) the Maguire family came from ?

With a common surname such as Maguire, I think you are going to need more details to locate the correct family. Some church records for the county are available online on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie, but note that not all parishes have records going back that old.

edit : have you checked for marriage and death certs for Peter in Australia ? Depending on timeframe and the state, these can include useful details on place of origin, parents etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tomerong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

The info I have is  he was born in Westmeath Ireland  and was tried  for attacking a house on 7 October 1828 and given a sentence of life. There is mention of the prison hulk  Essex.  The convict ship "Guildford" sailed from Dublin on 12 July 1829  and arriving in Sydney Cove,  New  South Wales,  on the 4th  November 1829. Records show him as Convict assigned to Sydney Stephen,  Retreat Farm  Mirramarang. From there he moved  down the coast to  Brush Island.  He was given a conditional pardon on the 13th August 1845.  He was married on the 19th June 1839 at Sussex Inlet  to Hannah Foley (Murphy). In 1845 he selected land in Milton & became the legal owner in1854, 40 acres of land on what is now Wilfords  Lane Milton N.S.W,  paying one pound per acre. He  died on the 27th June 1860. His probate 4877/1 gives as one  of the first recordings of Moley Mook ( Mollymook of today)
I not sure of the actual birth date but he was 22 when he arrived in Australia. There is no mention of his parents on his marriage ceritificate and on his death certificate as unknown. Records show him to be a "white boy".

Only way maybe would be to lookup court records if they exist for that date but I wouldn't know were to start. Sorry I can't shed any more light on his Ireland life.

Hope this may help.

Dave

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Some possible details on Peter seem to be mentioned on the Ireland-Australia transportation database on the National Archives website :

Name: MAGUIRE, PETER
 Sex: M
 Trial place: Westmeath
 Imprisonment place: Hulk "Essex"
 Document date: 31/03/1829
 Document ref1: CRF 1846 Misc 2

see Ireland-Australia transportation database   (see page 8 )

I dont know what the references mean, but I have heard that not many of actual transportation documents survive here in Ireland, mainly those involving petitions and clemency pleas. I did see quite detailed transportation records shown on an Australian 'Who Do You Think you are ?', but dont remember which state the episode featured..

The two major towns that I can think of in Co. Westmeath are Mullingar, and Athlone (which is on the border with Co. Roscommon ). So I presume a trial could have taken place in either of these locations. Of the two I think Mullingar would be the county town.  Usually the best place to try for details of early trials would be newspapers. It might be worth checking to see if any were being published in the area at the time.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tomerong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thank for that, I have a look and see if I can find out. yes I did find the record that you mentioned. If I remember correctly I actually have a discription of him somewhere in my records. I have not been active in my search for a while so am a bit hazy on what I have.

dave

Offline Lorayne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: (O)'CONNOR, MAGUIRE, CASEY of Ballinderry Co Westmeath Ireland
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Dear David
I cannot help you any more than others have. I do have a bit more info on Hannah Foley, if you are interested. Their son, Peter, married Elizabeth Suffolk. The Suffolks are my line. Let me know if I can be of any further help to you.

Regards
Lorayne

Moderator's Comment: some posts merged on this thread as I had requested on original topic.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,26907.0.html

Offline tomerong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi  Lorayne

I do have some info on the Suffolk side. One question I have is did Peter 2 move to Tomerong when he got married to Elizabeth or was he already there ?  I do have a photo of them both. Not much on Hannah Foley so any info you have would be of interest.

Dave

Offline Lorayne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 11:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Dave
Hannah Foley Murphy arrived on the Duchess of Northumberland, which departed Cork on 26 May, 1836, arriving at Sydney on 30th October, 1836. She was aged 22, from Cork, which makes her born about 1814.
2 of their sons, James b. 1842, and Patrick, b. 1844, were baptised together, their abode listed as Ulladulla. So presumably Peter was born there as well.
Hannah died 23rd December, 1856, aged 36 yrs.
I have a photo of the grave of Peter Macguire and Elizabeth (nee Suffolk) at Nowra Cemetery, if you would like a copy.
Peter Maguire, the convict, was tried at Westmeath on 7th October, 1828
His description is given as 5 ft. 6 3/4 ins., Ruddy complexion, Brown Hair, Grey Eyes. Year of Birth 1807. This information is on his conditional pardon in 1845.
I would love a copy of the photo of Peter and Elizabeth, as the Suffolks are my line.

Regards
Lorayne

Offline Mr Mgoo Melbourne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
To Bernie O'Connor,
I said previously on this post it was Margaret McGuire (Maguire) who married Michael (O')Connor prior to migrating to Australia, but in fact it was Margaret's sister Elizabeth who married Michael.
I have copies of the books "The McGuires of Garvoc and Tara" by John J. Stainsby and "The Donovans of Mamre" by Francis X. Brown O.P. that include a lot of information about your great grandparents Michael and Elizabeth (O')Connor.
According to those references, Elizabeth was born 1842 and married Michael in 1858.  She died in 1888 aged 46 years and is buried at Garvoc Cemetary.
Margaret McGuire married Daniel Donovan.
Contact me on (*) and I will send you copies of those books.
Regards,
John McGuire

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php