Author Topic: Briscoe - Tubber & Rosemount  (Read 9937 times)

Offline BPE78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Briscoe - Tubber & Rosemount
« on: Wednesday 12 October 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather was baptised in the parish of Tubber & Rosemount. He married in Dublin and the parish entry is now online. http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/harrington-street_mf_1865-1912_ma_0196.pdf
Can anyone shed some light where his parents Roger Briscoe & Catherine Foy lived?
English
Briscoe
Sutton
Archbold
Healy
Carmody
Murphy
Mullen

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Briscoe - Tubber & Rosemount
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Is this the entry? Posting it here because for some reason I am having trouble with the image.

Do you have a source for the birth in Tubber, and what info does it give?

Name   JOANNES BRISCOE    ESTHER MULLIN
Address   23 LUKE GT    22 LIBERTY LANE
Occupation   N/R    N/R
Father   ROGER BRISCOE    THOMAE MULLIN
Mother   CATHERINAE FOY    MARIAE LOWREY
Priest   JOANNES RYAN
Witness 1   MICHAEL CLURK
Witness 2   MARIA A MOORE
Area - DUBLIN (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - HARRINGTON STREET

Marriage of JOANNES BRISCOE of 23 LUKE GT and ESTHER MULLIN of 22 LIBERTY LANE on 8 September 1878

Not saying in anyway that this is your family, but Briscoe is a rare name in the midlands, so might be of general one name study interest:
http://www.offalyhistory.com/articles/87/1/A-History-of-Sragh-Castle/Page1.html
1800:  An Edward J. Briscoe was the High Sherrif of Westmeath for one year. He lived at Riverdale which is not that far from Tubber.
PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline BPE78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hello PM,

Thats is the entry alright. Its hard to make out the writing and not knowing any of the townlands around there doesnt help. I got the Tubber source from rootsireland.ie and the only info was birth/baptism 21 July 1838 and parents names Roger Briscoe & Catherine Foy. There are also records for siblings Anne born 1844 & James born 1847. John also had birth county as Westmeath in the 1901 census.

There are not many Briscoes in Ireland let alone midlands. I thought they would be the easiest to track down. There ares no death records in the GRO for Roger or Catherine. My grandfather born 1901 was the youngest and was 9 when his father died so he knew little about him.

Your information about the Sheriff of Westmeath is interesting. My grandfathers brother was Edward Joesph Briscoe. Maybe just a coincidence. With a name like Roger my thinking is that they may be English settlers.

Thanks.
Brian
English
Briscoe
Sutton
Archbold
Healy
Carmody
Murphy
Mullen

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
I am just wondering about this a little - and not 100% happy with that transcription of "Roger" - perhaps whoever made the entry did not know the latin form. Does the name "Roger" occur again in the family?

The RC parish of Tubber & Rosemount is mostly in the Civil parishes of Kilmanaghan & Kilcleagh, which both include the town of Moate. But as nothing is simple with Irish geneology, Tubber village itself in over the border in Offally...so if your Roger and Catherine were living in the area, it could be in either county.
See:
 http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/

The record you posted is an RC marriage - do the other records you have give denominations?

I have had a good look in the usual places and can't find a Roger, so any more detail you have might help!
PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
Just deleted that - I was repeating myself, sorry!

Offline BPE78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 October 11 00:56 BST (UK) »
Ive got the marriage cert from the GRO and its definitely Roger mentioned as father. There is just a line where fathers occupation is. No other Rogers in the family that I know of. Maybe the Foy family might be the way to find more information.
English
Briscoe
Sutton
Archbold
Healy
Carmody
Murphy
Mullen

Offline BPE78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 August 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
This is the biggest brick wall. What would be the registration district for this parish? Thanks
English
Briscoe
Sutton
Archbold
Healy
Carmody
Murphy
Mullen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 August 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure where the Rosemount part of the parish name comes from.. in the 1830s the RC parish is listed as "Tubber and Kilmanaghan" (the latter is the name of the civil parish) and the RC parish formed a union with the civil parish of Kilcumreagh.

All of the civil parish of Kilmanaghan is covered by the Registration District of Tuillamore, most of Kilcumreagh civil parish was covered by Athlone district.

Bear in mind that registration districts only applied for civil births, marriages and deaths - so from 1864 for RC families

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests