Author Topic: marriage look up John FREEMAN and Rebecca MESSENGER  (Read 3553 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
marriage look up John FREEMAN and Rebecca MESSENGER
« on: Monday 22 September 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a marriage for John FREEMAN (b 1812 Chilworth, Oxon) and Rebecca MESSENGER (b 1813 Denton, baptised at Cuddesdon, which I think were part of the same parish at the time?). They have their first child in 1834 in Ickford, but haven't had any luck finding a marriage for them.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: marriage look up John FREEMAN and Rebecca MESSENGER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 September 14 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
They were married at St Aldates Church, Oxford on 18 Nov 1833 after banns. They were both recorded as being of that parish and the witnesses were; John Durrant & Mary Merriman. Rebecca signed her name Rebekah.

Hope this helps

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you so much! Was that available on line somewhere? I've been hunting for a while with no luck. Now I wonder what they were doing there? John was a butcher and I always assumed he came from a family of butchers, but I suppose he may have been learning at St Aldates.

I know who Rebecca (Rebekah)'s family are, but still can't find John's. I'll keep hunting, but might start another thread if I can't find anything.

Thanks again! :D

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
The info is available from Oxfordshire Family History Society and it is specifically within the transcribed parish records available to purchase from the society on disc.

I started by looking for the marriage in the Oxfordshire Marriages Index Records 1538 - 1837, having found the singular match in the index I looked the marriage up on the appropriate CD before entering your reply.

Sadly in comparison with later years the parish records in many but not all churches of that time did not record much information. What was recorded for your marriage is what I popped on here before.

Interestingly it may prove useful in my opinion if you put a thread requesting info on the Buckinghamshire board. As I expect you are aware Ickford is right on the Oxfordshire / Buckinghamshire boarder so you may get some info from there as well.

Similarly there is a project to create an index of all baptisms within Oxfordshire and it is possible you may get a clue to Johns family from within that list if he is listed. You will need to contact the OFHS - Google it for contact details - for a look up in what they have done thus far. They may levy a small charge I do not remember for sure.

I do have the PR's for Cuddesdon if you want a look up there?

You could also try a look at the various trade journals and specifically in Jacksons Journal of Oxford and see if your John is trading there as a butcher?

Hope this helps in some small way.   

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you again NDRIFT! I have had a quick look at the OFHS site (didn't quite get the name map graphic, but it was fun to watch), will definitely go back and have another look. As it seems I have a few Oxfordshire ancestors, it might be worthwhile investing in some cds.

If you don't mind, could you check the Cuddesdon records for me? I have Rebecca's siblings as James (1 Jun 1817) and Dinah (24 Oct 1819). I'm wondering if there were any more? Her parents were John MESSENGER and Hannah BARNES who were married at Cuddesdon 3 Nov 1810. I'm pretty sure Hannah was from Cuddesdon (I think bap 13 April 1789 of Robert and Hannah), though John may have been from Holton.

Thank you again, it's much appreciated.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
And thanks for the suggestion of Jacksons Oxford Journal, will check that out too!

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry for the delay replying.
Nope cannot see any other siblings.

Hannah BARNES was baptised at All Saints Church, Cuddesdon on 13 Apr 1789 d o Robert and Hannah of Denton.

Edward BARNS was bapt on 8 Aug 1784 s o Robert and Ann of Denton

Joseph BARNES bapt 3 March 1782 s o Robert and Ann of Denton

Elizabeth BARNES bapt d o Robert & Ann of Denton

William BARNES bapt 16 Apr 1775 s o Robert and Elizabeth of Denton = Elizabeth = mistake????

William BARNES bapt 7 July 1776 s o Robert & Elizabeth of Denton

Robert BARNES bapt 21 Dec 1777 s o Robert & Elizabeth of Denton ??

David BARNES bapt 1 Sept 1779 s o Robert & Ann of Denton

I reckon the use of Elizabeth is a mistake . There is only one marriage in the PR's of a ROBERT BARNES in the banns register for Sept 1767 and it was for a marriage to ANNE DAWS of Barton

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 September 14 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much again. What a wealth of information!

It is weird that the 3 births in the middle should be of Elizabeth. It does seem a strange mistake to make. Although I do have a family in Cambridgeshire I'm puzzling over where the mother changes from Elizabeth to Ann (nice coincidence), but in that case I can't find any marriage records, so am quite stumped.

You've been so helpful, would it be possible to let me know who the witnesses were for John Messenger and Hannah Barnes marriage in 1810 and for Robert Barnes and Anne Daws in 1767?

Thanks so much once again :) I'm going to check now for some wills, great to find some transcriptions on the OFHS website.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 14 07:26 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome.
The Hannah Barnes marriage wits were John Sanders and Hannah Kings - I thought I had put them before but no matter.

Now the other marriage is a wee bit more problematic as there are several Bartons within Oxfordshire. I shall have a look and let you know but I am out most of today and tomorrow.

Wont be long though
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,