Author Topic: William Mckay born 1839 ancrum  (Read 15630 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mckay born 1839 ancrum
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 March 12 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Ha, :)Good job you didn't buy the certificate, her  mother is Margaret.

So you found the hobkirk family, and how did you get the William Scott born 17something from that? Did you get a kind minister who gave you parents?

Barbara

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 March 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I think the informant on Annies death certificate might have got her name wrong.She was 85 years old and her grandson who was the informant did not even know her fathers name. All he had was Mary Dodds for mother.She may have been named Wilhelmina not Georgina.The name Georgina just seems wrong.All he would know her as would be granny.If she did grow up in the grandparents house and they had a daughter with that name using her middle name makes sense.
One of my  grandmothers has the wrong name on her death certificate.Her name was Maggie-Ann and she only has one name Margaret on her certificate.It does happen.I will start looking for Annies birth under this name.  I won't   give up on finding William and Mary. I need Marys death certificate to check out her parents.There were a few Mary Dodds who  I traced. It must be some weird spelling of the name McKay.I have a few older cousins who I could write and ask about Annie as they would remember her but they would have called her granny too.My last aunt passed away last year  so I missed out there.
The McKays  either came down from the highlands or they could be Irish.Why did they have to stay in England.Found Alexanders death in 1875 Glendale Jan Feb-March.
Maybe William left Mary and was living with another woman. Mary could have gone into service and gone back to her maiden name.Annie & James made there home in Jedburgh and then Kelso so I will check for them living close.Mary was only about 20 years older than Annie.

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 March 12 11:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree the death certificates are often wrong when the informant maybe hardly knew the person who had died.  I am still a little confused as to how you found out about Isabella Bell, did you find them on the census too?

I will try and have a look on the USa census for you in case they followed William's sister out there.  Have you traced all his other siblings to see where they

Barbara

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 12 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

I was wrong .Georgina was her name. I checked  my great grandfathers death certificate.He was the widower of Georgina Ann McKay.Their daughter Mary was the informant .

I got Isabella Bell from the New Family Search.I can't find a Margaret Bell married to William Scott.

I have not got around to checking for them on the census.I found Catherine Scott  born Hobkirk1814
was their daughter on Ancestry Public Trees. I will check it out as I know those trees are are often wrong and everyone copies each other so they are full of mistakes.

I found a William  McKay born 1839  in the Glendale workhouse/poorhouse in the 1911 census
He was a casual and  it had Glasgow as place of birth.

I had thought Mina may have gone with a family as a servant.Her husband was born1st August 1846 in
Edinburgh.He was the son of William Cochrane and Janet Burnett.They may have met on the voyage.

Norma

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 March 12 03:58 BST (UK) »
I got William Scott and Isabel Bell married on 13 -01-1811 at Yarrow Selkirk.He was from another parish.No names of parents.That was a waste of credits .Another William Scott married a Janet Scott at Ettrick Selkirk.
No Margaret Bell.

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
I so agree, these trees often keep repeating the same mistake, drives me crazy at times.
On the old IGI (I prefer that ;D) there is a Catherine born 1814 to William scott and Isabella Bell but it is at Ancrum, not Hobkirk.  The parishes are close tho.  There are loads of children at Ancrum and at Yarrow but not sure if they are the same couple.  If you look at the IGI perhaps they will overlap and you can prove they are not the same couple or not.

The ancrum lot had a daughter named Minna William Scott in 1831.

Barbara

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 April 12 06:54 BST (UK) »
Mary Dodds parents lived next house to Alexander McKay and family .[Williams grandparents in the 1861 census.]Carham Northumberland.

James Dodds was born Lowick Northumberland  not Yetholm.I lost this family after 1861 too.

1871 Found Agness Mackie, Georgina Annie McKays sister.

She was living with her aunt Agnes Dodds older sister of Mary Dodds.

William Spears age 30
Agnes Spears age26 maiden name Dodds.
Andrew 6
James 5
John3
James Dodds age 72
Agness Mackie age 7

Address East Chevington Broomhill Colliery Morpeth Northumberland

James Dodds age was a bit out but Agness Mackie was correct age and Agnes Spears was correct age too.She married William Spears 14th Oct.1864 Sprouston.

Looks like William and Mary may have died between 1863 and 1871.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 April 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
I  have hit a brick wall again.Can anyone find me a marriage for James Dodds and Agnes Henderson.
They made their home at Yetholm, Roxburghshire.All the family born there.It would have been abt. 1829 / 1830.I got the Henderson maiden name from  the wedding certificate of Agnes Dodds their daughter.Agnes Henderson passed away between 1861 and 1864.She was deceased on this marriage certificate.

Can anyone find a marriage for Agnes McKay?I lost her after the 1871 census.She was not with the same family in 1881.Agnes her aunt had passed away and William Spears had a new wife Margaret Harbottle and some step chilhren.

I would like to know what  happened to Agnes McKay.I suppose I would like to see her living at Jedburgh or Kelso near her sister Annie.
                                                                  Thanking you,
                                                                                          Norma

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 November 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I have found a possible Mary Dodds.

1881 Mary Dodds age 36 born 1845 Yetholm  domestic servant

Living & working for Edward Gray age 63 borm 1818

Address 33 Bongate Jedburgh.

1871 found this Mary Dodds born 1844 Yetholm Domestic Servant living at 4 Eden Cottage Rose Lane Kelso.  William Scoon born 1841 Melrose was head of the family.

Can anyone find this Mary Dodds in 1891 & later census?

I know  my Mary was born in 1842 in Yetholm  but if her marriage broke up and she has gone back to her maiden name knocking a few years of her age is normal.It puts her in Jedburgh in 1881 and her daughter married there in 1885.
Thank you,
Norma