Author Topic: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries  (Read 27514 times)

Offline wellwaterdwoman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 12:33 BST (UK) »
thank you ajjbc James Hay and Janet Hume are my GGG Grand Parents that I have been searching for many years. Found this site yesterday and joined Roots today. Their son Thomas 1813-1883 is my line that I have on Ancestry if anybody is interested

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 22:02 BST (UK) »
UNFORTUNATELY NOT

but there has been serveral attempts over the years and are only available to read at various local history groups - BFHS, Hertiage HUB, and alike

Time and volunteers is the main factor which is lacking, because the two main cemeteries are very big in the borders most of the MI's have been coompiled by volunteer for local history societies.

but who knows one day

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 September 13 09:13 BST (UK) »
Judy, I see that you are descended from a daughter of William Wight and Elisabeth Richardson of Maxton. I am the great-great-grandson of William and Elisabeth's other daughter Isabella Wight who married Robert Stephenson, and I am in touch with a descendant of Isabella's brother Walter Wight.

Harry

Offline nzzj7k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 January 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Ajjbc,

I have just found this site and am interested in a couple of things. My grandmother was from Hawick. I've made a couple of trips there while we were living in Luxembourg. I'm a Canadian living in Illinois.
Can you find out if Annie Irvine Whillans (dod 20 Mar 1912 is buried in one of the 2 Hawick cemeteries. and one other her name is Mrs. Margaret McIntyre (nee Miles). She died 30 Apr 2012 in Kelso at Queens House.

My grandmother was Margaret Douglas Robson Waldie. I see you are interested in the Waldie family. Maybe we can help each other out. My parents best friend (adopted - long story) was also a Waldie from Hawick. I have yet to find a connection other than his parents were married at my g-great uncle's place in Hamilton. His last name was Robson (also from Hawick). My family arrived in Sherbrooke, Quebec to work at the mills. I'd love to hear from you and see what info you have. My g-g-great grandfather was James Waldie married to Mary Gray 21 Jul 1807 in Edinburgh. They had 2 sons John Sibbald, my g-great grandfather (1819-1882) and James Thomas Waldie (21 Feb 1821). Do you have any of these people on your tree?

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 17 January 16 16:09 GMT (UK) »
nzzj7k…
   Went through  what I have in the 3 cemeteries in Hawick and did not find Annie Irvine Whillians burial in 1912.That does not mean she is not there.My 3 books are older.MAybe someone who has up to date burials might find her or maybe she has no stone.
  Margaret McIntyre who died in 2012 is way to new for my books…you could try a new post.
I did try to Private email on Waldie …..but it says your box is full.
   My Waldie are down in Roxburgh back to mid 1700…have a paper trail…William Waldie & Marion Prentice.
If you have  a direct male Waldie some where,get his Y_DNA done…..I have one of mine done (he's going on 90,so I thought,get it while I can).I also noticed on Ancestry that there are 4 different researchers who have trees on your line.
   Always free to post or ask….RootsChat works like a charm…super folks here.
     Cheers

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline nzzj7k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 17 January 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
My Waldie's are from Hawick too. I had a lady in Hawick that could look up cemetery plots for me, but she is no longer there and I see now they charge for the search. I know Hawick is popular with the family tree search and THEY (meaning Hawick) need the money, so charging for the searches makes sense.

One of my parents good friend's last name was Waldie and his father was from Hawick. He was put up for adoption (his last name changed to Brisbin) but I was asked to do some family research on the Waldie side. Well to make a long story short, I believe he is on your family tree. Now he has died but he has a son that really is a Waldie (because his dad's name was Waldie before he retired) is still alive. May I ask why you want to get a male DNA of the Waldie's? Anyway my friend's tree has William Waldie married to Marion Prentice.

I was born in Toronto, but now live in Peoria, Illinois. We move around a lot for my husband's job.

Regards,

Jill Honda

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 17 January 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
nzzj7k
      I will try again to send you a private email in regards to Waldie..
In the mean time …if you can give me a rough idea to your friends linage it would be great as I have  plenty of info that I can sift through on my line…..you could send me your personal email to my personal email.
 Waldie Y-DNA would be great from all Waldie researchers as I could well lead to merging all these family trees out there…I have accumulated quite a few Waldie pedigrees over the years,yet cannot merge them.
        Chat soon   Ann

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 January 16 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Jahjahau

just had another look through this posting and noticed we have a link

Thomas Waldie and Helen (Nellie) Robson are my GR GR GR Grandparents via their daughter Helen (Nellie) whom married Andrew Aitken blacksmith at Rutherford Burnside, Maxton - their youngest son David is my GR Grandfather

(NB:not to be confused with Nellie's niece Nellie who married Andrew's cousin Andrew Aitken in the late 1840's)

Which of the Thomas & Helen's children is your line - it wasn't clear.

As for Huggan's it's a common name in Roxburghshire especially around Denholm and Hawick

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 January 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a 2nd Great aunt who died in Hawick:

Margaret Casdon Hodge died 22 sept 1860 Hawick From Scarlatina aged 3 1/2 buried in the new burial ground Hawick.
I have this girl - her sister (my descendant) sewed her name on my beautiful sampler done in 1868. I don't know where the Casdon bit comes from:

Name:Margaret Casdon Hodge
Birth Date:7 Apr 1857
Birth Place:Inveresk With Musselburgh,Midlothian,Scotland
Father:James Hodge   
Mother:Elizabeth Brown

& the initial on the sampler is not clear SO I'm hoping to find her grave.

would her MI be in any of your books or is it too late AND which cemetery is the NEW HAWICK?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)