Author Topic: Th'owd Chapel  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Th'owd Chapel
« on: Monday 18 June 07 13:14 BST (UK) »
I have a little book of this name published after the closing of Water Street Ebenezer Baptist Chapel in Rochdale, which may be of interest to those with Baptist ancestors from the town.  Written in Lancashire dialect, it describes in a humorous fashion the memories of a man who attended the chapel Sunday School when he was "nobbut a little lad", and mentions many of the chapel members in the 1870s and 80s in anecdotes. There are photos of some them, too.  My gt-grandfather is among them, playing the "gradely orgin", with his son "yung Tom pooing t'stops eaut for 'im".  The Church was pulled down and moved to Newbold. 

If you think your ancestors may be among them, I'd be happy to check for you and let you have the details.   :)

Gill
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Th'owd Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 00:13 BST (UK) »
Gillg

Sounds a great li'll owd book!

Have Barnicoats and Taylors together with Grindrods in the Rochdale area at that time?? ( Eli Taylor (father of), Butterworth Taylor (son of) and Jane Taylor (dau of) are main interests)

Andrew Barnicoat is buried at Rochdale Cemetry and via him is a connection I am sure to Howarth's.  If you have any luck on these names I would be grateful if you could forward them to me.

Barnicoat family from Cornwall were non conformists as were later Taylors' in Cheshire.

Jude
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 08:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's fun, though I have to read it aloud to work out what it is saying, and even then don't get some of it.

The only Taylor I have is Benjamin, probably one of the deacons, or at least important enough to be in an official group photo of the chapel dignitaries.  He could be the same Benjamin who died in 1915 aged 56, husband of Elizabeth Margaret, mentioned in the Rochdale Cemetery list on Interment.com, but I'm only guessing there. 

Re Butterworth Taylor: I suppose he was given his mother's maiden name or that of some relative.  Butterworth as a surname is a real Rochdale name, and there are a huge number of them.  I have some in my family, but tracing them is a nightmare, because they seem to share so few first names.  There is another chapel member called Simeon Butterworth, a local councillor, and there was also an area of Rochdale called Butterworth. 

If you think Benjamin is one of yours, I can let you have a copy of his photo.  Just send me your email address in a PM.  Sorry I can't help with the Barnicoats, Howarths and Grindrods.

Gill

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 10:37 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone else is searching, here are the names of those featured in the book, with an asterisk* to indicate a photo:

James Ashworth from Bacup
Joseph Bellhouse* Church Secretary and umpire for Rochdale C.C.
Edmond Blomley
Simeon Butterworth, local Councillor
Alice Clegg*
Rev. D. O. Davies*
Elijah Fletcher* Sunday School Superintendent
John Howarth
Jesse Jackson, Church Deacon
Joe or Josef Lawton
John Mills
Stephen Nuttall*
Rev. A Pickles*
Robert Riley* Sunday School Superintendent
Billy Shepherd, Auctioneer
Benjamin Taylor*
Edmund Thompson* Chapel Keeper
Tom Watson from Horse Carrs
Adam Whiteyed ) I think this is a dialect spelling for Whitehead
John Whiteyed  ) as there are no Whiteyeds on the 1881

There are some great anecdotes and thumbnail sketches about some of these.

Gill

Offline BrownandGrey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a copy of the same booklet - reprinted in 1915.  I inherited it from my uncle (Jeff Mallinson), who was born in Rochdale in the 1920's.  I dont know how he came by it, but I know his best friend was a George Butterworth.  Maybe some connection with the Butterworths in the booklet

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi BrownandGrey, and welcome to RootsChat.

What a coincidence!  Can you understand the dialect?  I have to read it out loud to get the gist of it and I was born and brought up in Rochdale! 

Four generations of my family were connected with Newbold Ebenezer Baptist Church, where the Water Street congregation moved to. My gt-grandfather and grandfather played the organ there and both were choirmasters and orchestra conductors. Sadly this church, too, has been pulled down now, new flats have been built on the site and a small church has been squeezed in at the side of them.  The other Baptist Chapel with which my family was connected was West St Church.  Its building is now an Asian food warehouse, and a small church has been squeezed in there, too.

Gill

Offline banjobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Just bought a marriage licence 1873 Ebenezer Baptist Chapel between Thomas Wilcock and Fanny Williamson, fathers Alfred wilcock and George Williamson, minister Alfred Pickles, registrar James Williamson, witnesses Frederick Wilcock and Emma Porter Wilcock. I have Butterworths, Cleggs, and Taylors connected with the Wilcock and Williamson families, but not yet done much research on them. However I would be pleased to have more details of your book, particularly of any people with surnames as above, or, if you could possibly send me a .pdf file of the book?

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi banjobob and welcome to RootsChat! :)

I will first need to scan the booklet, which may take a little while.  In the mean time, you will need to make another two postings, then you can send me a Personal Message with your email address. 

Was the marriage at Newbold or Water Street Ebenezer Church?

Gill

Offline banjobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for rapid reply, Gillg.
The marriage was at Water Street, 23.08.1873. The couple were from Two Bridges, Newhey, near Rochdale and Haugh, near Rochdale.
I shall happily reimburse your scanning costs.

Bob.