Author Topic: Origins of Samuel Honey (b. Devenport, 1822)  (Read 2855 times)

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origins of Samuel Honey (b. Devenport, 1822)
« on: Friday 10 October 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
The baptism of "Samuel Pope Honey" took place in December 1822 in Devenport and was nonconformist. His parents were a William and Elizabeth Honey, and his apparent sister was Elizabeth, who was born in April 1818 and baptised that August at Morrice St. Wesleyan Church in Devenport.

An 1841 census shows William ("a stone...something") and Elizabeth, both aged 40 at 13 Wellington Street in Devenport. An Ellen...Santhly? aged 3 also resides there.

At the time the census was taken, Samuel can be located at the Seaman's Hospital Ship Dreadnought, docked at Greenwich. He was a "P. Ableman" according to the census. He would be dead in a foreign continent by the time of the next census.

I'm trying to locate a marriage for his parents, William Honey and Elizabeth, presumably sometime around 1815-1817 and also, possibly, some baptisms for them. Can anyone help?
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Samuel Honey (b. Devenport, 1822)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
The baptism of "Samuel Pope Honey" took place in December 1822 in Devenport and was nonconformist. His parents were a William and Elizabeth Honey, and his apparent sister was Elizabeth, who was born in April 1818 and baptised that August at Morrice St. Wesleyan Church in Devenport.

The register images read "Samuel Pike Honey son of William & Elizabeth Honey father's occ Smith
born 8 Dec 1822 baptism 24 dec 1822"
Elizth Honey daughter of William & Elizth Honey of Plymo Dock born 25 April 1818 baptised 3 Aug 1818

An 1841 census shows William ("a stone...something")

1841 William is a stone mason

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 October 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
See also related thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=701798.0

And, by the way, it's Devonport (the port of Devon!)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 census William is shown as a stone mason and the baptism of Elizabeth as a smith. It is most unusual for a man trained in stone masonry to take on the skills of a smith [usually working in tin or iron etc]. Therefore I raise a doubt whether there were two William Honeys in different trades. Samuel is on the Dreadnought as a P Able Seaman [possibly petty officer or leading seaman rank].

As the family used a Wesleyan church in Devonport it is possible that William was of Cornish origin as that faith was very strong in that county.

On the 41 census William's age is rounded to down so from that he was possibly born from 1797 to 1801 which raises some doubt that he married 1815 to 1817 as he would have been only about 20 in 1817 [possibly still an apprentice until the age of 21] so it is speculation that the couple married after the birth of Elizabeth or going to my earlier question whether there were two William Honey's in Devonport.

I suggest that you view the various church registers as summarised on Genuki Devon http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/StokeDamerel/index.html and in particular note that for certain periods records no longer exist.

To locate a baptism for a William starting with the Devonport records then extending to the neighbouring Plymouth and East Stonehouse before continuing in the county of Cornwall will probably as it was one of most often used male forenames produce many possible results for the period 1797 to 1801. To pick any one as a possible out of that selection will be almost impossible [assuming you wish to have an accurate tree?].
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker again
Looking at Familysearch and FindMyPast combined again there is a William Honey marrying a Eliza Honey at Plymouth St Andrew in 1813 .
The change of Samuel Pope Honey to Samuel Pike Honey does match nicely with John Pike Honey and Sarah Warrin the possible parents of William Honey marrying at St Charles Plymouth 1783.(see other thread Ellen Honey).
There is also a William Pike Honey born Stoke Dameral 1816 on FindMyPast died 1850.

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 October 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Stone mason. Thank you!

I do agree that to move from smith to stone mason would be a very odd leap.

Cemetery Friends - I do wish to have an accurate tree, as I'm hoping to link both Samuel and the otherwhere mentioned Thomas Honey. I hadn't realised the amount of William Honeys around, though - my initial researches showed quite a paucity!

Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone