Author Topic: Ann Saunders and Job Smalley Mystery  (Read 2201 times)

Offline blackpool

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Saunders and Job Smalley Mystery
« on: Friday 14 November 14 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Job Smalley was in the 74th Foot and 2nd Royal Veterans Battalion between 1813 and 1815. He was wounded at the Battle of Salamanca and returned to England (either Portsmouth or Plymouth) before being posted to Madeira. Afterwards he returned to his native Leicestershire with a wife Ann who, according to censuses, was from Plymouth. I've just found (after 12 years searching) that he married in Madeira in 1814 and that his wife was probably Ann Saunders. The Army Chaplains records give no more information than that. But I wondered if any more detailed records of the marriage might exist. Also, what was Ann doing in Madeira? Was she part of a military family, and would soldiers' families been able to join them? It seems unlikely that she could have travelled with Job given that they weren't married. As yet I've found no baptism for Ann as few of the Plymouth records appear to be available online and Yorkshire, where I live is a fair distance to travel! There is a Saunders family having children at the appropriate time at Blatter Street Presbyterian but no Ann. Any advice, suggestions, comments are very welcome.