Author Topic: Ayres family location in 18th century  (Read 44269 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Ayres family location in 18th century
« on: Sunday 28 November 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
During the 19th century my Ayres ancestors were widespread in the Bottisham/Lode area of Cambridgeshire. During the late 18th century they are absent apart from one family unit. Does anyone know where they were living during this time. I am told the Ayres surname is of gypsy origin so Iwonder if they were in fact travelling around during this period. Thanks.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres family location in 18th century
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 10 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Or do all of the 19th century Ayres derive from the one 18th century family unit? Or, as happened with some Beds Ayres I worked on, are there name variations such as Hare?

The only way to go is to trace the 19th century names back to where you get a blockage, and then to ask for help with specific names and events if you can't proceed further

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip David, I have a plan of that time under development and expect to make some postings fairly soon.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline tobin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
hi
my grandmothers maiden name was ayres,her father was a alfred ayres he was born in whittlesey cambs,but since starting my tree ive found that the line of ayres he descends from come from the huntingdon area.mainly wennington,gt raveley and broughton.

id love to know if there is truth in the name having gypsey origin,thats the first i have heard of that,my ayres were mainly ag labs apart from my gt grandfather he worked with horses.

regards patsy
hall,bowey,turnbull,danby -northumberland
speechley,lakey,ayres,anker,bedford -cambs and huntingdon
warrener and cope -nottingham

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 11 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Tobin, I believe that the Ayres gypsy origins are pretty definite, apparently they were fairground people, there is at least one researcher on the surnames listing who is specifically looking for this Ayres family. Like yours mine were mainly ag labs, and settled in the Bottisham/Lode vicinity for many years, with apparent associations in surrounding villages. The surname does seem to be spread widely across the UK, which I think might be a possible pointer to its gypsy origin.

Offline tobin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
thankyou for that info thats something i will have a look into  :D
hall,bowey,turnbull,danby -northumberland
speechley,lakey,ayres,anker,bedford -cambs and huntingdon
warrener and cope -nottingham

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 11 16:28 GMT (UK) »
The surname does seem to be spread widely across the UK, which I think might be a possible pointer to its gypsy origin.

This is a non sequitur! My surname is Cooper which is widely spread across the UK. It has no gypsy origins.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Possibly, but gypsy origins would or could help a surname become widespread!

Offline DeMaille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 March 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ayres in my family tree and I am probably distantly related to all Bottisham/Lode Ayreses, including those who were head gardeners at Anglesey Abbey.  I have never come across any suggestion before that the Ayres were Gypsies and I have done quite extensive research at Cambridge Records Office. The Ayres family were certainly well settled in Bottisham by the mid 1700s.  The name Stubbings Ayres continued through into the 1800s, where I seem to remember that one Stubbings Ayres was fined for having faulty weights in his shop (even though the census gives him as an Ag lab).  I recall that a Stubbings Ayres was also a stalwart of the Lode Chapel.  The censuses also show numerous Ayres as born and/or living in Lode throughout the 1800s. In fact one of my grandmother's sisters (born Lode) married another Ayres from Lode!  Could I ask what your resources for the Gypsy connection are?  Most of my family names are scattered throughout England, so I don't think that is a pointer. Here is my Ayres connection:

Child of WILLIAM WEBB and ANN RICHARDSON is:
   i.   SUSAN3 WEBB.
2.  SUSAN3 WEBB (WILLIAM2, JOHN1)  married JOHN AYRES 21 Jun 1791, son of STUBBINGS AYRES and HANNAH PRAT. 

Child of SUSAN WEBB and JOHN AYRES is:
3.   i.   ANN4 AYRES, b. 03 Jan 1796.

Generation No. 3

3.  ANN4 AYRES (SUSAN3 WEBB, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 03 Jan 1796.  She married PHILIP CORNWELL, son of WILLIAM CORNWELL and ANNE ARBER.  He was born 1798.

Children of ANN AYRES and PHILIP CORNWELL are:
   i.   EMMA5 CORNWELL, b. 30 Mar 1828; m. RICHARD RAYMENT, 25 Dec 1844, Bottisham England; b. 1831.

ii.   LEVI CORNWELL, b. 30 Mar 1828; m. SARAH PETTIT, 21 Mar 1857, Bottisham England; b. 1836.

4.   iii.   WILLIAM CORNWELL, b. 29 Sep 1829, Bottisham  England.
   iv.   CHARLES CORNWELL, b. 15 May 1832; m. (1) ELIZABETH AYRES, 1855; m. (2) EMMA HANCOCK, 30 Oct 1857, Bottisham England; b. 1836.

v.   ELIJAH CORNWELL, b. 14 Nov 1834.
   vi.   ELLIS CORNWELL, b. 08 Jan 1837.
   vii.   URIAH CORNWELL, b. 1842.
                viii.   ZILLAH CORNWELL, b. 1843.
   ix.   JOHN CORNWELL, b. 1847.

I descend from William Cornwell.