Author Topic: Devonshire Regiment during ww2  (Read 1718 times)

Offline reddevon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devonshire Regiment during ww2
« on: Monday 15 September 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, as being new to this site and this is my first post i hope i do not mess things up.
i am doing research on the Devonshire Regiment during WW2 and was wondering if any of your members could help me in my search for members of this Regiment (ie photos or documation)  as my Grandfather was in the devons during WW1 and also served in the Observer Corp during WW2, which is what really got me interested in this Regiments activities during WW2. Thanks in advance.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Devonshire Regiment during ww2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 23:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Reddevon.

Have you tried googling "Devonshire Regiment WW2" ?  There are a number of sites giving history and pictures for the Regiment, including the Regimental Museum "The Keep" "www.keepmilitarymuseum.org" and the Regimental Association "www.devondorsetregiment.co.uk".

If you've already looked at these without finding what you want ask us some more specific questions and we'll see what we can do.

Maec

Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline reddevon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes i am always googling the Devonshire regiment, sometimes find something new, have been to the Keep museum and have been into the archives, but i would like to find some photos and documentation on the more personal side of things, the sort of thing a museum wont hold. Such as the following.

Corperal Maurice Ritchies of the 8th Battalion taken in 1943 (just before he transferred to the 2nd Battalion

and Albert Cobden and his wife taken whilst he was serving with the 12th Battalion Devonshire Regiment in 1943 just before the Battalion was selected for airborne training to serve with the 6th Airborne Division.

I am hoping that some of your members on here may come across this request,  and well you never know, i might strike it lucky.

Offline Scotty1984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
My grandad William Leslie herbert was in the 12th Devonshire 6th airborne division in the gliders