Author Topic: John Pyterman  (Read 590 times)

Offline collectedthoughts

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Pyterman
« on: Monday 29 September 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John Pyterman Sr. managed a tavern/restaurant called “the Ship” in London before 1749.  They were living in the Spitalfield area of London, an area known for French Huguenots immigrants.  Around 1749, this Pyterman family emigrated to Hannover Germany somewhere.  His son, Jan Pyterman, was born 6 months after arriving (~1749).  The family lived in Hannover for 10-15 years.  When the family returned to London, Jan Pyterman changed his name to John and became a peruke (wig) maker.  Later Pyterman generations became tailors. 

I was hoping to see if there was a record of this family and Jan Pyterman’s birth in one of the German Huguenot records.  Some Pyterman families (also spelled Putnam, Poteman, Piterman, Peterman, etc.) may have attended the French Savoy, Spring Gardens and les Grecs Huguenot church in London around 1710.  Where there any British documents that recorded the names of British subjects who went to live or who were born in Hannover during that time?

Thanks.

Jared

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Pyterman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jared

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I've created your own topic as you had posted your request on the bottom of another topic that was started in 2005.

There are some chatters here who are very knowledgeable regarding European strays in London.

Some may also be able to check for Hanoverian records to see if your ancestor may be listed there.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea