Author Topic: Rev Henry James Morgan, Bryn Llandewi, 1805  (Read 3159 times)

Offline asfowlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev Henry James Morgan, Bryn Llandewi, 1805
« on: Thursday 21 November 13 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the Rev Henry James Morgan, born Bryn (or Velfry)Llandewi, Pembrokeshire, abt 1804, (from census entries).
He was married in Brecon to Susan Williams b abt 1806 of Kings Stanley, Gloucestershire on the 7th December, 1827. Susan was the child of Rev James Williams and his wife Sarah.
He served in Welshpool Montgomeryshire. In abt 1834 he became pastor of the Bethel Baptist Church in Pembroke Dock where he served for many years. He died in Milford Haven in 1872.

I have not been able to find any information on his parents, photos, details of his ministry.

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Henry James Morgan, Bryn Llandewi, 1805
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 November 13 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello asfowlie and welcome to Rootschat.

I have Rev Henry James Morgan marrying in 1829 in Brecon.

He was minister of Sardis Baptist Chapel, Burton Parish, Pembs in the 1851 visitations, and was still minister of Sardis and Milford on his death in 1872 (Welsh newspapers online).

Interestingly he was declared bankrupt in July 1868 and discharged from bankruptcy in Sept 1868.

I haven't found any record of his birth which would have been in Llanddewi Velfrey, Pembrokeshire. Bryn was a farm in that parish.

Best wishes

Rhosgoch

Offline asfowlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 November 13 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosgoch,
Yes I got the marriage date wrong it was 7th December, 1829. At the same time as his work at Sardis he was reporting on Pembroke Dock as well. The family lived in Front St Pembroke Dock.

I could not find the bankrupcy reference but I found his death notice in the "Cumbrian". It confirmed his death as 27th February.

I wonder if you have any information on Rev James Williams born Moulton Glamorganshire abt 1759. He served at Ryford and King Stanley where Susam Williams was born. He died in 1818 at King Stanley.

Thanks again.
Alan.

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 November 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan,

I'm sorry but I can't find anything on James Williams. Information on early baptists seems a bit thin.

The bankruptcy references were in the London Gazette. Henry was living at Upper Laws Street, Pembroke Dock at the time (1868), and before that Front Street.

Genuki for Pembroke St Mary gives Henry as minister of Bethany English Baptist Chapel, P. D. in 1851. He also conducted a marriage there in the 1860's. as Rev Henry Morgan.(Pembrokeshire Herald)

Those are the only references I have found. His baptism record might be in the Rhydwilym Baptist records which covered the Llanddewi area. Those records are not online, but someone on the Pembrokeshire list might have access. Whether parents names are given is debatable.

Regards,

Rhosgoch