Author Topic: WW1 - George Brown (1898-1962) - KOSB  (Read 1448 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 - George Brown (1898-1962) - KOSB
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born in Selkirk, Scotland and served with KOSB during WW1.  I believe that he enlisted 3/10/1915 and that Regimental Numbers were 20582 & 408963.
I have tried searching the National Archives but have 'got lost and confused'! Probably because he has such a common name.
I would appreciate any advice on how to locate his service record.
Thanks,  Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 - George Brown (1898-1962) - KOSB
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,

The surviving service records, only about 30%, are available at the National Archives on microfilm (not on their website), or on Ancestry.

I've had a quick look, but nothing obvious using either of his service numbers.

Looking at his medal index card and using a lot of if's and maybe's:

I would think that he originally joined one of the service battalions in Spring 1915, but was sent overseas (Dardanelles) as a reinforcement for the 1st Battalion 3/10/15. March 1916 the 1st Battalion were in France, having evacuated from Gallipoli in January.

At some time he was transferred to the Labour Corps, probably due to being medically downgraded through sickness or wounds.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Phil.
You may well be correct.  I was going through George's records and I notice that on his marriage registration (dated 2/10/1918; Edinburgh) that his usual place of residence was Selkirk but he was 'presently with British Expeditionary Forces, France'.
I think I may get a search done at the National Archives.  30% chance is worth a try.
Thanks again.
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 December 14 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I recently obtained a copy of 'Roll of individuals entitled to the decoration' as applicable to my grandfather's service with Kings Own Scottish Borderers during WW1.
Particulars as listed do not appear to match column headings and I am wondering if someone could help me understand some of the information.
The records is as follows:

KOSB                                                              LABOUR CORPS
1st  20582   Pte BROWN George    3.10.15 (2b)  408963  Pte   C1.Z 8.5.19

It's the "C1.Z 8.5.19" that I don't understand.  (The rest I believe means that he was originally with 1st Btln KOSB , Reg No 20582, and was deployed to the Dardanelles 3/10/15. Finished up, probably due to injury as previously suggested, with the Labour Corps Reg No. 408963). I have been unable to locate his Service Record and therefore want to understand any bit of info that comes along.  Any assistance will be appreciated.
Bill.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 December 14 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill

It's Class Z Reserve. This was created after the Armistice in case fighting started again. Men were sent home but they had to keep up their musketry skills.

If you post his numbers on Great War Forum you will find experts who can tell you at least when he enlisted in the KOSB and the date of his transfer to the Labour Corps. This transfer often happened after a spell of treatment at home. So you may find him in a list of wounded in his local newspaper.

Since you first posted the NA no longer have the surviving one-third of records. They were put on Ancestry a few years ago, and now appear to be on Findmypast as well.

Ken

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
That was quick!   Thank you for that info and I will follow up as you have suggested.
(I am an Ancestry member and have had no luck finding his record so guess it was destroyed)
Cheers,   Bill.