Author Topic: Dunlop in Tattynuckle  (Read 8718 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunlop in Tattynuckle
« on: Sunday 05 January 14 11:26 GMT (UK) »
The Dunlop family lived at Tattynuckle in Co Fermanagh near Five mile Town.
Alexander Dunlop 1850-1900 married Isabella Mitchell 26 Dec 1876 in Tempo parish church. They had the following children Edward James who I think went to America. He is not on the Irish 1901 or 1911 census. Margaret Jane 1880--who may be the Maggie shown on the 1901 Irish census. Isabella b 1883,William b 1884 and Sarah b 1887.
I am unable to trace what happened to the children and would appreciate any help. I am assuming all but Sarah have married by 1911. I say this as  the 1911 Irish Census still shows the mother Isabella farming at
Tattynucke,Corrylongford with Sarah at home and  a male servant.
Isabella dies March 1918 and is buried at Colebrooke church ( have seen the grave).Strange William did not take over the farm---but perhaps he also went to America.
Welcome any ideas on how to take the search forward.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunlop in Tattynuckle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
PRONI Will Extract- "Administration of the estate of Alexander Dunlop late of Tattynuckle County Fermanagh Farmer who died 6 June 1900 granted at Armagh to Isabella Dunlop the Widow." Post-1900 administration paperwork should survive and may provide a few clues for the whereabouts of the children. Usually the forms will have spaces to say how many surviving children and I have found files where a child in America has signed away their share to a relative who remained at home (giving a U.S. address). So, it might be worth pursuing that.

Birth: Edward James Dunlop (16 Aug.1878) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPZR-591
Birth: Margaret Jane Dunlop (5 Feb.1880) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPTX-J6F

Also for reference-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Corrylongford/Lattyruckle/1356160
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Corralongford/Tattynuckle/522154
From the 1911 census (luckily not filled out corectly) it seems as though all 5 children are still living.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
The Griffiths Revaluation records show that the Dunlop farm was plot 6a on Tattynuckle, consisting of a farmhouse, outbuildings and 38 acres, 2 roods and 9 perches. They had the freehold by the early 1900s having bought it under the Land Act. After Alexander’s death Isabella was recorded as head of household. In 1915 the farm is recorded as being occupied by Thomas Whittin, so presumably Isabella had sold up.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/dcal_proni_val12b/RelatedVolume.aspx?6690
Elwyn

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 14 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thats very interesting. As Isabella dies a few years latter wonder why she did not leave a will.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:33 GMT (UK) »
It wasn’t (and still isn’t) necessary to obtain probate for every will. It may be that she did leave a will but it just wasn’t probated. In which case PRONI won’t have a probate file. If all assets are movable, or in joint names, it isn't always necessary to obtain probate. The executor just distributes them as per the will.  If she had sold the farm she may have been living with her daughter, and may not have had very much of her own, save perhaps for the proceeds of the farm. But she might have done something with that prior to her death.

I wondered who Thos Whittin is? It crossed my mind he might have been a son in law and so I looked for a possible marriage to a Dunlop daughter. Didn’t see one but I did see a marriage between Sarah Dunlop and Robert Kennedy regd Lisnaskea Oct – Dec 1912 Vol 3, page 135. I wonder whether that might be the Sarah in the 1911 census? You might want to order a copy of that certificate.
Elwyn

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank You.I had the same thought about Thomas. Yes will order the cert --although Dunlop is quite a common name in the area---fingers crossed.
Many Thanks

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 February 15 14:18 GMT (UK) »
By way of an update. Sarah Dunlop married on 14 Nov 1912 in Colebrook church Robert Kennedy . He was living in Drumadagorry in Clones  Ireland and listed as a Farmer. Have not been able to establish if they had a family or when they died. I am assuming they continued to farm in Clones.
Thanks for your help .

Her brother William became a Dr and lived in Ramsgate, kent, England. He died 1973. His wife was IVY Winifred Bellicent Hills (1905-1986) . they had no children.

But what of her sisters Margaret ( known as Maggie ) and Isabella ? Would welcome any information . My guess is they marry and stayed in Co Fermanagh but so far have not found any records.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 February 15 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Isabella Dunlop (junior), have a look at the 1911 England census.

Posting information from this census is not allowed on RootsChat, but there is a possible candidate with almost the right name, age and place of birth. Worth noting until you can rule in or out.