Author Topic: THOMAS EDMUND KING born 1841 INVERNESS OR ST. PANCRAS  (Read 3102 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMAS EDMUND KING born 1841 INVERNESS OR ST. PANCRAS
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 02:40 BST (UK) »
My g-g-grandfather Thomas Edmund King was the son of John King and Sarah Bush and was born in either Inverness or St, Pancras, London. His date of birth was 1st May 1841.
After all these years of wondering is there any way I could discover which of these place he was born.
I have been told that his father - or grandfather - belonged to the Caledonian Society.
Thomas came out to New Zealand with his family in 1844 and was buried here.
As I am in NZ it would be very expensive for me to get a birth certificate from Britain - is there a library where perhaps someone in the vicinity could have a peep at the records for 1st May 1841 to see if Thomas features.
The original information we had of Inverness as his birthplace was changed to St. Pancras, perhaps because the family lived there, but I still wonder why Inverness was listed originally,
Hope someone can give me an update on this
Robin aka King William
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS EDMUND KING born 1841 INVERNESS OR ST. PANCRAS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a baptism St Pancras
4 July 1841
Thomas Edmund King
Parents John and Sarah, fathers occ. solicitors clerk, resident at Kerton Place.
There is a note in the last column which I take to be dob which says June 1st but I will check.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:10 BST (UK) »
Definitely says June 1st, I think residence might be Euston Place, not Kerton
Baptism, St Pancras, Camden
1839 Sep 30th
Georgina King, John and Sarah, Euston Place, Solicitor, born 5 Sep

Cathy

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
Well , the possible census for the family looks like Weston Place, so take your pick  :)
1841, Weston Place, St Pancras
John king  30  Clk.  N
Sarah "     35          N
James " 9
Maria   " 14
Sarah    " 8
Catherine "   6
John  "       2
NK    "        1 week 

Cathy     

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:29 BST (UK) »
Just been looking Cathy - I think it's Weston Place on baptism and census.

Note that age for N.K. is in female col - an enumerator slip up, maybe!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
My g-g-grandfather Thomas Edmund King was the son of John King and Sarah Bush and was born in either Inverness or St, Pancras, London. His date of birth was 1st May 1841.

As I am in NZ it would be very expensive for me to get a birth certificate from Britain - is there a library where perhaps someone in the vicinity could have a peep at the records for 1st May 1841 to see if Thomas features.
The original information we had of Inverness as his birthplace was changed to St. Pancras, perhaps because the family lived there, but I still wonder why Inverness was listed originally,
Hope someone can give me an update on this
Robin aka King William

Inverness could have been a mistranscription of St Pancras -not too different in old writing

There doesn't seem to be a birth reg for Thomas Edmund King
There is a birth registration for Thomas Edmund King Jun qtr 1840 in Kent but he can be found in census with different parents
Registration began in Sept qtr 1837 but fines for lack of registration weren't enforced until many years later -  so in the absence of a registered birth cert we have to rely on parish registers & baptisms

I too think it is Weston Place on census and baptism
the 1841 census gives age of N.K. ( unknown -not named yet) child as 1 week
1841 census was taken on the night of 6 Jun 1841 - which gives a d.o.b. as 31 May - even though 1 June entered on baptism .- could be a mistake

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks to every one who replied - it appears that Thomas was born in London. Weston Place, the street they lived in has always puzzled me as the name of Weston seems to have been around the family before. The maternal g-g-g-grandparents of Thomas were George and Susannah Bush of Hanham, near Bitton. On the deeds of their property, even before George was born, is an entry which I don't understand but it contains the name of Weston -
"Exemplification of a Recovery suffered in Hilary Term 11 Chas 1 (1636) of lands in Bitton, Hanham, Oldland and Kingswood. Chirograph of a Fine levied in Michaelmas Term Chas 1 (1634) between Robert Kitchen plaintiff and Edmund Weston defociants."
This is Double-Dutch to me, legalese from the 17th century!
Can anyone make that easier to understand. My dictionary did not have any meaning for "defociant."
That is one Weston from 200 years before Thomas was born, and there was another. Five generations before George and Susannah, Paul Bushe (brother of direct ancestor John Bushe) was the first Bishop of Bristol and was well-known to King Henry V111, I believe he was a personal chaplain to the king. There was an earlier Edmund Weston in the court of the king.
So it seems that the Weston name is around the family and there they are living in Weston Court. I know one of the Bush men had a wife named Julia Weston and a mother-in-law named Elizabeth Weston.
Many thanks -I do like the bagpipes but it appears that Inverness in Scotland does not have any significance to my English ancestors.
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley