Author Topic: Seeking info on STEEL / STEELE, Clark and Nimmo families in Linlithgow Scotland  (Read 6148 times)

Offline drsteele

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm new to RootsChat...any suggestions on where to search for this info is welcome!

Searching for generations further back for the following people: 

John Steel/Steele.  DOB unknown but approx. 1800; married Mary Clark on 5 Dec 1828 in Linlithgow. Mary died in childbirth in 1848.  came to US after Mary died in childbirth).  Took his surviving children to Hamilton, Canada in 1857, and then moved to Scott County, Iowa and homesteaded there.  He died in May of 1870.  Seems to have gone by Steel in Scotland and Steele in the US, but not sure about that.

His wife Mary Clark was christened 11 Oct 1807 in Linlithgow, Scotland.  Her parents were William Clark and Jean Nimmo.

John and Mary's children were named Jean Steele (b. 1 nov 1829 in Linlithgow, came to US), a daughter who died at birth 'in Kingscavil',  son John b. 4 Feb 1833 in Kingscavil, William born 5 dec 18xx (not sure of year) in Mains Linlithgow, James b. 8 Sep 1838 in Culross, Peter b. 13 Jun 1840 in Culross, Robert b. 7 Oct 1842 in Kellywood Kincardine, another daughter who died at birth in sep 1845 in Kellywood Kincardine.

There were two John Steels in Linlithgow at that time...the other John married Janet Davidson either one year before or after the other John married.  NOT the same people.

Hoping to find additional information on these people.  I appreciate any tips you have for me to find a birth date for John, and further generations back.

Many thanks!

Offline KCLARK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on STEEL / STEELE, Clark and Nimmo families in Linlithgow Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was just searching the web after a renewed interest of my family history. I noticed that you are related to Mary Clark, the daughter of William Clark and Jean Nimmo. I am directly related to Alexander Clark, the brother of Mary Clark. I know that Alexander Clark had 5 living children called William, Peter, Elizabeth, Mary and Janet. From what I remember, Alexander Clark died in 1896 aged 84. I have the death certificate copy if you require. The Father of William Clark (born 23/12/1771 married to Jean Nimmo born 10/4/1772) was Alexander Clark (Born 6th May 1728 married to Helen Harvie on the 19th January 1755). His father was Patrick or Peter Clark - born 14th July 1702, and before that was possibly Patrick Clark, born around 1641 in Linlithgow.

From what I know, they were carters in Linlithgow.

Hope that helps! 

Offline drsteele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on STEEL / STEELE, Clark and Nimmo families in Linlithgow Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information!  It was wonderful to hear who William Clark's parents were, and also to know of Peter or Patrick Clark.  If you are willing to share Alexander Clark's death certificate, that would be great to have in my research files. I assume they are buried in Linlithgow, as well.  Do you have any idea which cemetery they're buried in?  I will be in Scotland next month with my husband, 2 kids parents-in-law and plan to go to Linlithgow to see where the family is from. 

Has the family always resided Scotland, to your knowledge?

Thanks for contacting me!

Offline KCLARK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Please find attached the death certificate of Alexander Clark, the brother of Mary Clark. Also attached is a photograph of the grave of William Clark and Jean Nimmo in Linlithgow graveyard.

The photograph was taken by a newly found distant relative who still lives in Scotland (I live in England). I discovered Bill's name via the website link http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_a_o/0_around_edinburgh_-_ratho_banksmen_including_john_tait.htm  He also provided me with all the other earlier details of the Clark family tree.

Alexander Clark moved from Linlithgow to Ratho and became a canal Banksman.

I saw your subject by chance via google and joined roots.com to reply. I don't know how to contact directly via e-mail with more information, as roots.com seems a public site. Please advise if you know differently, as I would be very interested to know what consequently happened to your side of the family.
Kind regards,

Ken

Offline drsteele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 02:28 BST (UK) »
I can hardly believe that I posted the Clark inquiry on July 22, and already I have found 2 distant relatives and additional family history info.  The internet is spectacular!  Thank you for sending the photo and death notice.

I'm not sure if this email address will get blocked or not, but I use it for junk mail and non-urgent emails and I don't think it's too risky to post to the internet.  I have seen that RootsChat.com doesn't allow people to post email addresses, so I am going to attempt to send it cryptically so it'll get through.  I'll send each part of it on a separate line so it hopefully won't get snagged by Rootschat's filter, but when you email me put them all in one string, with no hard returns or spaces.(*)

I'll then fill you in on our itinerary, as well.

Thanks!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Daisyboo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Alexander Clark who married Helen Harvie on 17.01.1755 are my 5x gt grandparents.  Their daughter Christian married Archibald Greenfield a Blacksmith from the Pleasance area of Edinburgh. Christian lived much of her married life in Edinburgh and returned to her native Linlithgow presumably when Archibald died (date unknown).  Her youngest son Andrew (my gt gt gt grandad) came with her and they lived where the children's shop little beau-peep is now based. Christian lived to a pretty good age and died around 1841. Andrew married Linlithgow girl, Mary Duncan and they went back to Edinburgh, where they had 4 children. At the time of Christian's baptism, Alexander is listed as a Farmer. Helen's parents were Robert Harvie & Patricia (?). She also had two brothers Robert and Archibald.