Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY  (Read 9215 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of 2 tombstones - Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Before all you helpful people starting looking up 10 Hayes Court Camberwell London....

::) Don't worry, Marshall. I think we understand clearly you have everything sorted through and through.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of 2 tombstones - Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marshall went back to Leslie Cemetery today, yes I had missed the inscription
on the other side of headstone. I have taken a photo but its tells me its to large
to send will PM you for your Email and send direct
 Norrie
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »
shellyesq;
I have a vague recollection of ordering the death cert last year, I know for a fact I had the registration number but for some reason never got the actual document.  I have no doubt that said document will say that Peter Stewart died on 17 Jun 1914, and I also have no doubt that this record will never be revised no matter what evidence is presented.
I am entirely satisfied from the evidence I have already gathered that Gunnery Sergeant Peter Stewart is without any doubt the son of Peter Stewart and Euphemia Hamilton who was born on 1 Feb 1859 in New Monkland Lanarkshire Scotland (which then included the market town of Airdrie) and who died on 16 Jun 1914.
I have asked the person who provided the bio on Find a Grave to either change the dates and birth place which he uses or state that there is alternative data and provide same.  I am in the process of trying to get the USMC History Division to also correct the misinformation which they have posted on their website concerning this individual or also list the alternative info.  I think there is as much chance of getting the NY tombstone corrected as there is in getting the death cert fixed.
There are conflicts in the records which will never be revised, but I strongly feel that the alternative info should be provided to assist future generations of genealogists in finding the truth.
Just for laughs I am attaching a document showing that the USMC Paymaster knew precisely when to end Peter's pension payments.
Marshall

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 October 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm not always a stickler for perfect genealogy, but I would think a primary source like a death certificate would take precedence over telegrams and pay records.  Since you didn't appear to consider my possible explanation of "last night" being June 17, so I won't make any further suggestions.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 October 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to NorrieG for filling the sole request made in the final sentence of the original post.  My sincere apologies to all those I have offended by asking that you stop assisting me.

Marshall

Offline lornal6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi too anyone that can help me i believe that Peter is related to my fathers family have worked out he is possibly my 4 th cousin but too be sure i would love to know can anyone relate too me who is his fathers Mother and Father is and if anyone knows his siblings i do have them but wish too be very certain that i have the right family thank you ever so much anything will be very much appreciated..Lorna

Offline lornal6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 January 16 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I put a message on the other day i omitted too say the line i believe for my fathers family is a Richard Stewart b1815 Carrington Midlothian he is my 3rd Gr Grandfather one of his sons moved down too London and only through my 2nd Gr Grandfathers second marriage as i cannot find paternal 2nd Gr Nana we managed to find Richards name and occupation was put as farmer...Lornax

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 March 16 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

Sorry about the delay in replying, just found your posts by accident today.  Your Richard Stewart's parents were my GGG grandparents.  They were James Stewart & Anne Wilson who married on 15 Jun 1807 at St Cuthberts Edinburgh Midlothian.  Anne Wilson was born 1 Dec 1787 at St Cuthberts and her parents were John Wilson & Elizabeth Eason.  I have the following notes on my tree concerning James Stewart's parents:

William Stewart & Jean Robertson had son James baptised in St Cuthberts parish Midlothian Scotland on 8 November 1779.  The year fits with the age given in the 1841 census and the location fits with his marriage to Ann(e) Wilson in 1807, however, there are numerous other James Stewart baptisms in Midlothian during that time period so his parentage remains unproven at best.

While the couple’s first child was born in St Cuthberts parish, the next 3 were born in Carrington parish which suggests James may have had roots there.  A search of the OPR finds no James Stewart birth between 1770 and 1790.

Offline lornal6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 March 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you so much for replying its great too just be sure that i am getting it correct about the ancestry for our family line its been very difficult as the only evidence i had was my Great Great Grandad James 2nd Marriage Certificate to go by for his fathers name and i now feel very happy ...kind regards Lornax