Author Topic: Leighton Buzard 1923-1927 - directories?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Leighton Buzard 1923-1927 - directories?
« on: Thursday 23 January 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone a postal/trade directory for the Leighton Buzzard area between 1923-1927?

A relation was as assistant master at The Cedars Grammar School when it was in Church Square, Leighton Buzzard. I was wondering where he lived, his name was Joseph WATSON and his wife Rosemary, no children. Info on the headmaster or how many boys attended would be good too.

I've seen a photo of the old school on the WWW, what a pretty house!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leighton Buzard 1923-1927 - directories?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi

The first entrance exam for the school took place in March 1921 with the pupils starting later the same year. The first intake was 106 and was coeducational -rare for the 1920's. Mr Fairbrother was head from 1921-1946 and saw numbers increase to 400.
 The school had a collection of buildings spread around the site. The main house... seen in most photos. The hall and underhall........ the story of a tunnel from here to the church next door kept us on our toes. The music room ....called the temple I think. There was also a swimming pool but not sure when that was built.
 I went to the school when it had changed to Leighton Middle school and had great fun in the vast grounds. I went back 2 years ago for an event and found it a little faded such a shame for a grand looking old house.
 Mary Norton who wrote the Borrowers lived in the main house as a child.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tazzie - great detail - just what I wanted to know. Sounded a nice school to attend!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline BORRI

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 February 14 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If I can help I would be glad.
Cedars was a Grammar school back when you are interested but it's now Leighton Middle school and the name of Cedars has been transferred to the new upper school in Leighton Buzzard, this can be confusing if you don't know that there are, or have been, two schools called Cedars.

There was a book released recently by Richard Hart, The Cedars School A Pictorial History 1921-1973

My son went to Leighton Middle and we still live in Leighton and have friends who teach or have been Teachers at both Cedars.

What Tazzie says is correct, Mary Norton based her story "The Borrowers" in and around the "Old House" and the Gym is something like a 16th century Banquet hall. The grounds have some great old trees (understatement) and the River Ouzel runs through it.

The 12c All Saints Church stands next to the school and the school grounds go around the graveyard.

The school has passed it's best years but still holds a special place in the town and a history that can't be replaced.

It's not easy to photograph the school because of it's situation and design but if you would like up to date photo's let me know, but I warn you I'm no photographer and I either do things straight away or months later, it's the luck of the draw!

Borri   
Norris-Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Middx
Barrett-Bucks/Middx
Soth-East Prussia

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 16 08:18 BST (UK) »
Borri

I've just seen your last reply! Sorry its taken so long and thanks for your kind offer of a photo. Dont worry, I will use the ones on the net, but thanks.

Gen in NBL England