Author Topic: Elizabeth Pickering, formerly Staunton, formely Alston - what happened to her?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

I'm trying to establish what happened to Elizabeth Alston, baptised 1651 at Odell daughter of Sir Thomas Alston. She married Staveley Staunton of Birchmoor, Woburn in 1672 in London and they had three children baptised at Woburn: Staveley 1674, Francis 1675 and Elizabeth 1677. Her husband Staveley was buried 1678 at Woburn. The following year she married Montagu Pickering at Campton, before returning to Woburn where they had a son Edward baptised in 1681. Montagu was buried in 1694, but I can't find out what happened to Elizabeth.

As a fairly comfortably off family they did move around a fair bit - often getting married in London, and as well as the farm at Birchmoor in Woburn other members of the family had land at the Langtons in Leicestershire, and there also seem to have been connections with Warwickshire. Several online gentry trees have information on her birth and marriages but don't have anything about her death. On Ancestry there are a couple of member trees suggesting she died 1703 in Odell, but this is unsourced and as far as I can see there's no plausible burial at Odell in the National Burial Index.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Pickering, formerly Staunton, formely Alston - what happened to her?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard

The Odell parish register transcript does not have a burial for her or any other possible Elizabeth in 1703 (+/- 5 years).

You may have this, there's another Pickering/Alston marriage on 24 Jan 1668/69 of Sir John Pickering, knight & baronet to Dame Frances Alston.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Pickering, formerly Staunton, formely Alston - what happened to her?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that John. I had seen that other couple - Frances was Elizabeth's sister, and Frances and Sir John's son Gilbert went on to marry Elizabeth's daughter Elizabeth Staunton (his first cousin). The Staunton estate at Birchmoor passed onto the Pickerings through Elizabeth, although I haven't been able to establish what happened to the younger Staunton son Francis.
Thanks.
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire