Author Topic: Gaelic Speakers  (Read 1500 times)

Online Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gaelic Speakers
« on: Friday 27 June 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Can any Gaelic speakers tell me how the word for hazel (coldha I beleive) be pronounced?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Gaelic Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
According to an online English-Gaelic dictionary 'hazel' is 'calltain', which would be pronounced roughly as 'KAL-t'n'.

'Coldha' is not listed in the corresponding Gaelic-English dictionary.

Why do you ask?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
My surname is Cowie and I am sceptical of all the theories as to it's origin the most common one you see is that it is from the Gaelic word Colldha (note I missed out an l) which means Hazel. This is from the surnames database:

"An interesting and unusual name of Scottish origin, Cowie is locational from any of several places of this name, but mainly from the ancient barony of Cowie in Kincardineshire. The derivation is from the Gaelic "colldha", an adjective from "coll", meaning hazel, thus it is likely that places named with this word were associated with hazel trees, a grove, perhaps. In local dialect the name is pronounced "Cooie" or "Ku-ie",

Not knowing Gaelic how you could get from Colldha to Cooie.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
There are places in Aberdeenshire with "cowie" which are supposed to derive from coille = a wood.

As for the way "colldha" is said, you will know the word "ceilidh". The "dh" at the end virtually disappears in speech and you say "cailay". The "dh" in "colldha" is the same.

Also, in Scots, "ll" often becomes "w", for example "roll" becomes "row". Folk in Aberdeen eat "rowies", not rolls in the morning.  That's how the "w" in Cowie develops from the "ll". Often the spelling of a place in a mediaeval Latin document or in one written in earlier Scots shows a placename in an earlier form, closer to the original word. That is how origins of placenames can sometimes be worked out.

Online Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks that's really informative, best explanation I have ever seen. To be clear though do you think the pronunciation of Cowie is cow-e or coo-a? I have seen it said that Coey is a form of Cowie.

Andrew

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
All the people called Cowie I have ever met called themselves "cow-ee". I have seen it spelled "Cui" in a late 17th century document, which suggests that the writer said "coo-ee" at that time.

Online Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
At school my peers called me coo-ee but that may just have been slang although I presumed it would have originally been pronounced that way with Cowie being a more anglified version.