Author Topic: Is Dochpollo near Dingwall?  (Read 14612 times)

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dochpollo near Dingwall?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 October 06 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there

In the Place Names of Ross and Cromarty book, unfortunately there is no separate entry for Brae or Brea. However, under the entry for Davochmaluag it says:

"These three (i.e. Davochcarn, Davochpollo and Davochmaluag) were included in the farm of Brae, 1777."

This seems to tally with your info, unfortunately Watson doesn't expand any further.

I also checked the parishes of Urquhart and Resolis (as Watson doesn't list Ferintosh as a separate parish at this time). There weren't any entries for Brae in Urquhart however, there was one in Resolis, somewhere around Braelangwell.

I have found a Brae near Fodderty on a copy of a Victorian Ordnance Survey map - it's halfway between Fodderty and Lower Dochcarty and close to the Highland Railway line to Skye.

Hope some of this is of help!
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 February 07 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Much later...

I have just got to the bottom of my 3x gt grandmother's maiden name.  After much searching I have found her on the same census sheet as her future husband!  ::) ;D

The relevance of this is that she is living at (and born at) Dochpollo and the census shows the household to be adjacent to others in Brae in Fodderty.

I hope this helps.

(Incidentally surnames BETHUNE, CAMERON are the ones I was after on this occasion - 1841 census)

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Scraggi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 April 07 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

I am new to this sight and just seen this post.

I have ancestors who lived at Dochpollo on the Hights between Strathpeffer and Dingwall in the late 1700's.  Their name is Wemyss.  I think this name was discarded when Brae was taken up.  Although in the parish records the name was still being used in 1800.

Scraggi
R&C - Wemyss, Finlay
Strathclyde - Wemyss
Caithness - Sinclair, Dunbar
North Lanarkshire - Sinclair
Moray - Fletcher, Finlay, Davidson
Nairn - Fletcher, Finlay, Davidson
Sussex - Langley, Twine, Whitney, Norrell, Pyle/Pile
Oxon - Whitney

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Scraggi

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

Looks like our ancestors were neighbours! 

I hope you enjoy Rootschat and find lots to help you here.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Scraggi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots :)

I see that you are interested in the Bethune/Beaton line on the Heights.  My Gt x 4 grandfather James Wemyss (1777-c.1854) married Helen Bethune (a.k.a. Alice/Elsie Beaton) (1788-c.1850).  Any connection to you?

Regards

Scraggi
R&C - Wemyss, Finlay
Strathclyde - Wemyss
Caithness - Sinclair, Dunbar
North Lanarkshire - Sinclair
Moray - Fletcher, Finlay, Davidson
Nairn - Fletcher, Finlay, Davidson
Sussex - Langley, Twine, Whitney, Norrell, Pyle/Pile
Oxon - Whitney

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
Here's another reference - from a recent post on the Rootsweb ROSSGEN-L.
"I believe the name is Dochpollo. It is in Fodderty parrish and is
called thus because a davoch was an 8 acre parcel and pollo being pool so
dochpollo this from a great little book "The Strath" about the area between
Dingwall and Strathpeffer. There is also Dochcarty, Dochcairn
,Dochmalaug.all in the heights above Fodderty and east."

Also, there are some references to Davochpollo at:
http://www.schulers.com/books/al/h/History_Of_The_Mackenzies/History_Of_The_Mackenzies72.htm
and
http://www.schulers.com/books/al/h/History_Of_The_Mackenzies/History_Of_The_Mackenzies76.htm

To get completely confused about 'davoch' try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daugh
or a lookup in the Dictionary of the Scots Language at:
http://www.dsl.ac.uk/getent4.php?plen=2521&startset=8510777&dtext=snd&query=DAVACH

Ah, one is always learning, learning from RootsChat   ;)

JAP
PS: Gadget, I remember driving from Strathpeffer to Ullapool a few years back (only time I've been in the north of Scotland).  Seem to remember a vegetarian pie-cart near a suspension bridge ...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
Gadget, I remember driving from Strathpeffer to Ullapool a few years back (only time I've been in the north of Scotland).  Seem to remember a vegetarian pie-cart near a suspension bridge ...

Um - I don't think there are any suspension bridges between Strathpeffer and Ullapool. Would you be thinking of the Kessock Bridge - A9 north from Inverness. There are pull in places on the North side (Black Isle)  of the Bridge.

Alternatively there is the bridge just before the Dingwall/Strathpeffer turn near Contin.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

It was over 10 years ago - so I can't guarantee the engineering of the bridge.  Sorry if I misled you  :'(

I had checked back in an old photo album and found photos of Strathpeffer (the last being of the Eagle Stone), followed by a gloomy landscape photo (it was a beautiful drive but not a beautiful day), then the vego pie-cart, then a photo of some falls, then next were distant views of Ullapool.

I'd recalled that, as I strode out on to the bridge (yes it rocked) and a stunning view, my passenger refused to come - wouldn't have a bar of the bridge!!

Anyway, I've now Googled and find that I must have been referring to the Falls of Measach (I'll label the photos properly now - not just "Falls"!).  And that my photo must have been taken from the 2-person viewing platform.

If one looks at:

http://www.haun-online.de/Scotland/Scotland2k/HTML/e_sco2k24.html

and the next two photos, and scrolls down to the descriptions, perhaps I was the foolhardy one  8)

JAP

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
Your description made me say 'Corrieshalloch Gorge' before I got to the end  ;D ;D ;D

I was thinking of a suspension bridge which the main road crossed rather than down in the valley section. The parking place is to the North of the road and above the road slightly. Everyone then has to cross the busy road to get down to the footpath that leads to the Falls. They are currently revamping things and the main entrance will then be from the other, Gairloch, road.  It's about 10 miles from Ullapool.

Weather is gorgeous here at the moment. A High over Scandinavia always brings us fair weather. Bear that in mind for your next trip.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***