Author Topic: Robert Morice: Aberdeen abt. 1834  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Morice: Aberdeen abt. 1834
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
I am tracking a Robert Morice (born abt. 1834) .... I have been told that he could have changed his name from Morrice.

Please don't read anything into variant spellings. Spelling was a very inexact science until literacy became widespread around the late 19th century. Dropping an 'r' or writing 'ce' instead of  's' at the end of a name do not constitute a change of name. Spelling was how the person who wrote the name down at the time thought it should be spelled.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jackolyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Morice: Aberdeen abt. 1834
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 January 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if you have verified the parents of your Robert Morice yet but if they are Peter Morice and Ann Falconer, I have a bit of additional information. Another child of Peter and Ann is William Morice. He died 30 May 1896 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen, age 66. Married Catherine Donald 17 Feb 1860 in Old Machar, Aberdeen. His wife Catherine died in Aberdeen 1924. They had at least 7 children - Ann Falconer, Catherine Yule, William, Margaret, Alexander, Robert and James. He lived in Aberdeen when the 1861-1891 census was taken, until his death there in 1896.  Feel free to contact me if you want anymore information on this family. I have no connection to the Morice family, I was researching Catherine Donald.