Author Topic: Fergusons of Lairg/Clyne early 1800s  (Read 33856 times)

Offline ronashill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fergusons of Lairg/Clyne early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica

Cheers
J

Offline ronashill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Well I've found John Ferguson's death certificate. 12 April 1899 at Lybster. In 1871 the family were still in Lairg but had moved to Reay Cottage. John and Anne MacLeod married in 1841 on 11 June at Clyne. Now for John's father, Hugh.

J

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Well done on finding John's DC. Re his family, can't see a marriage for his parents on IGI. There is however one sibling showing for John, an actual extract from the OPRs:

DONALD FERGUSON  Christening: 14 MAY 1804 Clyne, Sutherland, Scotland

Given the probable ages of the parents, they may well have died by the 1841 Census. I did try looking for Hugh in that Census a few days ago and no trace of him. One possibility for Margaret, I'll go back and try and find it!

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clarets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 11:58 BST (UK) »
I am completely new to rootschat so please excuse me if I get the form wrong. I have just started researching my history but may have some light to throw on this group as I am also trying to research it. John Ferguson (1813-1899) was my great great grandfather and he was a gamekeeper for the Duke of Sutherland. He is rumored to have saved one of the sons of the Duke from drowning in a Loch and interestingly two of his sons, George and Francis have the middle name of Egerton which is the  Dukes of Bridgewater family name - they are connected to the Dukes of Sutherland. John had a brother Donald and 11 children with his wife Ann MacLeod (1820-1901). Ann's parents were Neil MacLeod (1788-1875) and Elizabeth Ross (1798-1885)et Munro. 

I am trying to get some info on John's parents Hugh Ferguson and Margaret Munro I have been told by Grant from the Sutherland Google group that they  lived at Urachill (various spelling) in Strath Brora.

If you can help on any of the above I should be delighted to hear from you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Clarets

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Hopefully you and John can compare notes. Just checking whether both of you have seen the entry on Scotlands People for last Will & Testament for John Ferguson which might provide some additional info:

John Ferguson, 10/05/1899, retired Gamekeeper, Lybster, Caithness, d. 12/04/1899 at Lybster, intestate    - Wick Sheriff Court, Refs: SC14/40/16

Monica  :)

Offline Clarets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes I have seen it - thank you for your promt response . His insurance payment seemed fairly good although the value of his personal effects were a bit low. I am fascinated that a gamekeeper - son of a crofter (during the clearances) should have become so relatively well off. Two of his sons came south and had factory's of their own (rubberproofing and a foundry I believe) one in Manchester and one in Wolverhampton and its this apparent contradiction which is really intriguing me. Maybe there was something in the life saving activity!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
Sounds like an industrious family - oh for a glass ball sometimes  ;D

Offline JocelynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 November 08 23:54 GMT (UK) »
hi john
John and Aan Ferguson were my mother's grandparents my mother was named after her grandmother Ann Mcleod her mother was Ann Isabella Ferguson she married Robert Hardie Arbuckle in Inverness in1893 I am interested in my scottish family as the Arbuckle clan came out to New Zealand in 1908 my mother was born in Uphall Edinburgh, the Arbuckles farmed in that district.

Jocelyn

Offline Clarets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 November 08 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jocelyn,

I guess we must be some kind of second cousins as a John and Ann were my Great Grandparents too. My Great Grandfather was John Ferguson and like his brothers Francis and George he moved to England. Francis and George ending up with factories of their own and alas John didn't. I guess a lot of the info you need is in this thread but I can take you back a little - I am still new to this so have not got too far.

Ann Isabella's parents were Neil 1788-1875 and  Elizabeth Ross 1798 - 1885. Neil's father was William and his mother was Ann Leslie but I have not further details except his father was also a mason.

Elizabeth's parents were Hugh Ross and Ann Gunn again no details.

I have just had my first visit to the Scottish Highlands and I have found Neil and Ann's house (which is for sale incidentally) on Main Street Golspie - it has been subdivided into two houses way back in the 1860's and the main body of the house is now called Clach Ruadh which is Gaelic for Red Stone and the smaller subdivision is called anvil house. There is a small blacksmiths shop behind the houses.

If you would like details of any of Ann Ferguson's siblings (she was the youngest) contact me with what you need and I may have some info. I should be interested in hearing more detail about your antecedants as I am trying to build up a family picture. The Fergusons are a well travelled lot as all of my grandparents family moved to Toronto at the start of the 50's except for my father.

If anyone has details of any of the people listed above as no info I should be delighted to hear it.

I have photographs of the house if you want a copy I will need your email details.

Bernard