Author Topic: Burial places Ballymore Eustace Parish  (Read 9192 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial places Ballymore Eustace Parish
« on: Friday 10 May 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not entirely sure if I should be posting here or on the Wicklow forum.  However - I am researching relations who lived in the townland of Slievecorragh, near Hollywood in Wicklow.  I discovered that Slievecorragh was/is in the RC parish of Ballymore Eustace and I turned up some relevant records from there on rootsireland.  What I would now like to know is where people from Slievecorragh might have been buried.  If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate the help.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Burial places Ballymore Eustace Parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 13 09:32 BST (UK) »
some links to start your search off ....

Graveyards by parish (Kildare Co. Council)
  Recorded Burials grounds  ( "  " )
  Saint Mary Cemetery, Ballymore Eustace    (MIs from Internment.Net)

The actual cemetery used by might depend on the dates involved
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Great links Shane. Many thanks.
Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
Dermo
I have been involved in recording the headstones at Hollywood cemeteries (both Catholic and Church of Ireland graveyards) and those transcribed to date are available on IGP Archives at http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/wicklow/photos/tombstones/markers.htm.
Scroll down to Hollywood, and you will find separate files for the inscriptions and photos. 
There are lots of burials of folk from Ballymore Eustace and some for families from Slievecorragh.
I will be adding a further batch over the next few days.  These will be from the Catholic Church graveyard. 
What names are you researching?
Joy

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Joy. I have found the Wicklow headstone records since I first posted.  The Hollywood pages had some relatives I'm sure of and some others I'm sure must be related too.  You are doing tremendous work and it is much appreciated.
Best regards
Dermo

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dermo for your kind words.   I thought I would let you know that Hollywood St.Kevin's Catholic Cemetery, Part 3, has now been uploaded.
Good luck with your research
Joy

Offline merseult

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dermo for your kind words.   I thought I would let you know that Hollywood St.Kevin's Catholic Cemetery, Part 3, has now been uploaded.
Good luck with your research
Joy

Joy - Just to echo thanks from earlier post - your work is very much appreciated indeed and I think I've twigged a few more clues - I have ancestors that are Burkes from Mullica (desperately trying to trace Joseph Burke orig Mullica my gg grandfather who probably died around 1918 in Dublin but is probably buried in Hollywood - his son Joeph is on your very last transcription - do you know if there is any information on who is buried in the plots?), also Whittles from Kilbaylet, Dunnes from Ballysize, Moores from Rahattin, Humphreys from Baltyboys.
O'Brien O'Shea Humphreys Kevane Burke Cooley O'Sullivan Cahill Whittle Moran Dunne Moore Cahalane Kennedy Lewis

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Dermo
I don't have the answer to information re who is buried in each grave, but at a guess, the Church in Hollywood most likely holds a cemetery register covering this.  I suggest you write to the church and if they haven't got this information, I am sure they will be able to tell you who to contact.
The name and email address of the person who contributed that last item can be found at the top of the Text Page on IGP Archives.  You might like to get in touch with him.  This headstone was missed when we worked on the Headstones at Hollywood, and I am aware that a few more in this section of the graveyard may also have been missed.    I hope to get back there once we have some nice Spring weather, and will watch out for your names.

In the meantime I will take a look at the other names you have listed, and will get back to you later.  Do you have any rough dates of death and forenames etc.

Best wishes
Joy

Offline merseult

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I hope to get back there once we have some nice Spring weather, and will watch out for your names.

In the meantime I will take a look at the other names you have listed, and will get back to you later.  Do you have any rough dates of death and forenames etc.

Thanks Joy.  In fact it has been weather that has thwarted my previous attempts to look through the graveyard!  The main two people I am looking for are Joseph Burke and his wife Elizabeth who was a Whittle from Kilbaylet - they sold out of a farm in Mullica in 1901 and bought a pub in Dublin - next and last I hear he (now widowed so she died between 1901 and 1914) spent 4 nights in Mountjoy for drunkenness in 1914 at the age of 72!  I haven't made it to the GRO yet but looks most likely from web information that he died between 1918 and 1924.  His daughter Elizabeth is the first name on the headstone (d15 Jun 1921) and am wondering if he is in this plot (unmarked) or nearby as my family think he was buried in Hollywood.  The Joseph Burke who erected this headstone is his son but is not named on the headstone though my father can recall being at his funeral in the late 50s/early 60s.  I'll write to the church as you suggest.  Many thanks - John.
O'Brien O'Shea Humphreys Kevane Burke Cooley O'Sullivan Cahill Whittle Moran Dunne Moore Cahalane Kennedy Lewis