Author Topic: Florence May Bullen  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Florence May Bullen
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 17:15 BST (UK) »
On the BDM, there is  a birth of a Florence Bullen in 1895 in the Bedale District (the registration District for Scruton)  I see that Edward and Louisa had a daughter Rosanna born in 1878 - could Florence possibly be her daughter?

As Carolanne suggests, Florence's birth or marriage certificate would confirm father (or otherwise)

EDIT
Rose Ann married a John William Webster in 1904 in Scarborough District

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great grandfather James Beazley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 20:32 BST (UK) »
On the BDM, there is  a birth of a Florence Bullen in 1895 in the Bedale District (the registration District for Scruton)  I see that Edward and Louisa had a daughter Rosanna born in 1878 - could Florence possibly be her daughter?

As Carolanne suggests, Florence's birth or marriage certificate would confirm father (or otherwise)

EDIT
Rose Ann married a John William Webster in 1904 in Scarborough District

Goughy

Thanks.  I've ordered their marriage certificate
Researching the following:
BRAY - Cornwall & Gloucestershire; GEAR - Aldershot, Somerset; CRIBBS - Lanarkshire, Berwickshire; RITCHIE & DUTHIE - Banffshire: BADLAND - Worcestershire; BEAZLEY - Surrey; RICHARDS & MASSEY - Staffordshire; BARROW - Kent; DIMOND & McSWIGGAN - Derry

I am here today because my ancestors dared to take a risk and travel half way round the world to start a new life, two as 15 year old boys without their families

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
I've received the marriage certificate, and the plot thickens.

On 28th February 1919 Alfred Fawcett, 22 years old married Florence May Bullen, 22 years old at Bramley, Leeds. Florence's father's name, Edward Bullen (deceased), painter (journeyman). 

In the 2 censuses 1901, 1911, mentioned in this thread Edward Bullen is either her uncle or grandfather, and his occupation is painter & paperhanger.   From other Ancestry trees Edward (snr) had a son named Edward but it doesn't appear that Florence is his child either.  So have I got the completely wrong family, or is one of the two Edward's her father?  Edward Jnr's occupation was horsekeeper.   If Florence's father died between 1911 and 1919, then it would appear neither Edward snr nor jnr fit-  March qtr 1922 Bullen Edward W 74 Leeds 9b 438 &  March qtr 1947 Bullen Edward 70 Leeds 2c 678.

I still can't find Florence's birth.  From her death certificate (died at 50 in 1947) and her marriage certificate she was born in 1897.
BRAY - Cornwall & Gloucestershire; GEAR - Aldershot, Somerset; CRIBBS - Lanarkshire, Berwickshire; RITCHIE & DUTHIE - Banffshire: BADLAND - Worcestershire; BEAZLEY - Surrey; RICHARDS & MASSEY - Staffordshire; BARROW - Kent; DIMOND & McSWIGGAN - Derry

I am here today because my ancestors dared to take a risk and travel half way round the world to start a new life, two as 15 year old boys without their families

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 September 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Good to hear the marriage certificate has arrived, even if it does pose a conundrum.  I have several ancestor's marriage certificates where I know they were illegitimate (from birth certificate) but on their marriage certificate named their grandfather as "father - deceased" even though grandfather was still alive - quite common I think.  It is interesting that she states Edward is a painter, as is her grandfather on the census. 

As mentioned in one of my previous posts I think it is worth considering the birth of Florence Bullen in 1895 in the Bedale District (the registration District for Scruton which is given as her place of birth on the census returns)  I see that Edward and Louisa had a daughter Rosanna born in 1878 - could Florence possibly be her daughter and brought up by her grandparents?

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 September 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Goughy.  I'll take all that on board and looks like I'll have to get Florence's 1895 birth certificate.