Author Topic: Find this Place Name please  (Read 6728 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Find this Place Name please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 July 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
In 1887 a Henry Laurence FitzGERALD married in St George
Father shown as Francis, a Land Agent and Henry's address as Castlebar, Co. Mayo

Francis FitzGERALD, Land Stewart, is shown on the 1870 Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Ireland

Using a bit of lateral thinking here, Saleen is almost in Castlebar...

1901 census shows Henry as born in Co. Kerry
1911 census also states Co. Kerry after correction
They imply he was born circa 1850

It looks like Henry Laurence died in 1930 aged 80 in Tralee District, Co. Kerry
Link to Will (see page 101)

There may be a connection or it may just be coincidence

Thomas was obviously stationed at my home town of Castlerea for a while as many of his children were born there!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline sfv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Find this Place Name please
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 July 14 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Many thanks for all you help.  I have the following information which I believe is correct;
Francis Fitzgerald was born 1806 and died 1884 in Clones Monaghan.
He perhaps had a daughter Catherine (Kate) born 1840-1844
His son, Thomas was born 1834 and died 1900.
Francis Fitzgerald (widower) of Clones Monaghan married Lucinda Margaret Simpson on 27 April, 1877.  A witness at this marriage was Eliza Josephine Fitzgerald.
I have Francis' signature on the following documents:  his marriage, as groom, as above;
as a witness at the marriage of George Denham Leatham to Emily Sophia Tate 8 July 1870;
as a witness at the marriage of John Alexander Martin to Mary Anne Fitzgerald 16 August 1871.
All in the parish church, St George, Dublin.  The signatures all look identical to me - perhaps he was connected to the church in some way?
To finish, Thomas Fitzgerald and Eliza Purdue had a daughter Anne Eliza who emigrated to Australia.
There she met an Irish man Francis Berrige White.  They married in 1892 in Waverly, New South Wales Australia.  They were my great great grandparents.
I think Francis is still a bit of a mystery and I will keep going, but once again, thanks for all the assistance.