Author Topic: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.  (Read 52308 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.
« Reply #63 on: Friday 10 February 12 05:52 GMT (UK) »
By the way..welcome to rootschat..and after you have posted another couple of messages we can exchange e.mail adds if you so wish.

Again regards patvp and by the way I am in Australia  ;D
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline frisky1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 10 February 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »
As I said I am a Tyro and am even having difficulty in trying to send a reply to the right person but I shall persist!

This is only a quick note to say that I have hung on to lots of bits and pieces but have not yet sorted them out far less put togerher any genealogically coherent stuff!

I do remember that I have one or two original documents from the Risk/Hall family archives and shall try to look them out and send copies.

You say that you are in Australia. I was at school in the 1940s with an Iain Risk who, I think, went into the shipping industry and settled in Oz. Any relation? I think that his (then deceased) Father may have been Cap't Johnnie Risk (Blue Funnel Line?).

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 11 February 12 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi frisky - Did not come to Oz until 1957 so no contact there  ;) Will wait with bated breath  ;D to see if we can fill in gaps, have quite a bit of info on the Hall family, my g/mother was Charlotte Hall....see the photo on my postings on the motor bike  ;D
By the way what is a Tyro ?? or am I missing something ..

Talk soon I hope...Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline frisky1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 16 February 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Still struggling to find papers among the mass I have squirreled away!

Petition by Robert Hall , sailor Alloa for right to father's and grandfather's burrial place in the church of Alloa, south of the Isle door - "two headstones and four rooms bounded on the north side by the Burial place of John Burn..... and on the south side .... Thomas Gilchrist Tayler."
....and Seals in this church ly in the Loaft etc etc 14th may 1759

Typed copy of Genealogy 'of our forefolks' from Thomas Hall born 28 May 1783  to preparation in Alva 14 March 1898 by Great Grandchild of T H

One typed transcript of Indenture between William Risk and David Gray, Shipbuilder in Kincardine, dated 21st October 1814. The 3 year indenture is with the consent of William's Father John Risk Farmer Torbrecks and is for training as Carpenter and Shipbuilder.  I hope still to find the original.

Extract death certificate date 5 March 1863 for John Hall Rope Spinner Widow of Margaret Hall

Mutual Assignation between John Hall and Margaret Hall dated 1840

Inventory and valuation of stock, household furniture and effects |James Edmond dec'd 10 July 1869

An ENORMOUS tree starting with James Risque (sic!)co-founder of Secession Church, Buchlyvie b 1700 d 1776 and ending with a lot of undated Risks etc - eg  Maud, John, James, Kathleen, Charles etc some Bankier some Canada and some the Forrests of the Glasgow timber company. Many had grand-parents born about 1820-30. Lots more which I have yet to work out. I do not know the source of this huge bit of paper but will try to find out more

Also got the mss but unsigned apprenticeship for JAD Risk in 1863. I do not know who sees this reply but 'Corinn;' may be interested in this last

Enuf 4 now, I shall continue to delve and someday find out how I can send copies etc. I just do not understand this Roots business yet.

Frisky1

Offline frisky1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 16 February 12 15:34 GMT (UK) »
By the way last reference should have been to Coline, I think. e-ail might indeed be easier for me!!!
(*)

frisky1

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline walker_mckay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jean Risk married Glasgow 1778
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 20 May 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All - I am still looking for the family of a Jean Risk who married Walter McFarlane in Glasgow in January of 1778. Their marriage record lists his occupation as soldier in the Argyll Highlanders/74th Regiment of Foot. By August of 1778, Jean Risk and Walter McFarlane set sail from Greenock with the 74th for it's deployment during the American Revolution.

Jean and Walter eventually settled in what is now Charlotte County, New Brunswick in 1784. She died by 1795 living Walter with a young family.

Would anyone know of a Risk family living and/or working in Glasgow during this time period? Walter's profession at the time of his enlistment was that of an inkle weaver. I had thought that Jean's family might have also been involved in the rag trade in Glasgow or its environs. John Tait's post office directory of 1783/1784 shows a William Risk working in Greenhead as a dyer and bleacher of fabrics. There may or may not be a connection.

As a footnote, Walter McFarlane was baptized in Luss in 1753. He was the second son of Donald McFarlane and Margaret McFarlane. Donald was a tenant farmer in Rhu. Descendants of Jean Risk and Walter McFarlane's son John link this couple, however, to Stirlingshire although there is NO documentary evidence to support this point.

Anyone have any guesses on this Jean Risk? I think she would have been born around 1760 at the latest.

Walker_McKay

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 06 July 12 12:21 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Buchanans of Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire and appear to be surrounded by Risks. At this point in time I don't think I can add much to what is here but I have come across six photographs in 'the old family album'.
They are Mr Risk of Bankier, Mrs Risk of Bankier, Mrs Forrest, daughter of the Risks of Bankier, Mr Risk of Provanmill, Mrs Risk of Provanmill and Mrs Denny, daughter of the Risks of Provanmill.
They come with zero details but I would guess they were taken in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and are not of the highest quality.
If anyone is interested I can scan them and send them to PM addresses as I don't think the moderator would like me to post all of them to the forum.
Regards, 
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 06 July 12 12:29 BST (UK) »
PM on it's way!

Anne   :)

Offline Pebs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 22 September 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
hello James, I hope this message reaches you.
This is a bit of a long shot - I am trying to research my grandmother's time in domestic service.  One of the places that she worked was a house in Murrayfield called Kirkton Lodge.  She worked as a tablemaid.  Her employers were Donald and Annie Kennedy - Donald was one of two brothers who owned/ran the famous Jenners Department store in Edinburgh.
The family had two daughters, one of whom was Violet who married a James Risk.  I believe you are descended from that family?
Basically would very much like to find out anything I can about her time in service.  For example do you or any of your family hold any records from that time, regarding the family, Kirkton Lodge, or employment records, diaries or anything like that.  My grandmother's name was Annie Black.  She must have begun work there some time between 1911 and 1916.  My father used to remember as a very small child in the 1920's being taken there to have tea and cake when my grandmother went to visit the cook.  I would very much appreciate a reply even if you have no information at all.  Thank you.  Sandra.