Author Topic: South Staffordshire Regiment 38th & 80th Foot  (Read 1181 times)

Offline grumpier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Staffordshire Regiment 38th & 80th Foot
« on: Saturday 20 September 14 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am in tracing an ancestor of mine and have come across discharge notice for him from the 38th regt. of foot.
His name is Samuel Parlett , born 1784 in Downham, Norfolk. and his statement of service says the he was a private in the army from 1807 to 1824.  It does not give a record of where his actual service was.

My question is how would I find this out?  I would like to know if he served in any conflicts during his time with the regiment. Hoping that someone may be able to let me know where I should look.

Cheers
Grumpier

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Staffordshire Regiment 38th & 80th Foot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
There's a regimental index reference that places him in the First battalion which would tie in with his place of discharge in 1824 - the Cape of Good Hope.

See regimental histories:

http://www.nam.ac.uk/research/famous-units/38th-1st-staffordshire-regiment-foot

http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/1915_BNJ_11_14.pdf
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately this style of form does not appear to give details of overseas service. From 1804 the 38th Regiment had two battalions. Both served in the Peninsular. They merged in Spain in 1812. The rump of the second battalion returned to England, and was disbanded in 1814.

But in order to receive a medal for that campaign the man had to be alive on 1st June 1847 and apply for his medal. The medal had clasps for the various battles he was involved in. He does not appear in the roll on Ancestry. It is highly likely that he did see service in the Peninsular, but to get the details you will have to use the muster rolls which are in Kew and not online.

BTW…Findmypast’s description is misleading. The South Staffs were not formed until 1881 when the 38th merged with the 80th Foot. He served with the 38th Regiment. They did have the nominal name of 1st Staffordshire Regiment. But that is also misleading as there were no permanent barracks until 1873. So like other line regiments they just picked up recruits as they travelled around the British Isles.

Ken

Offline grumpier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, Thankyou both for your replies.  I live in Australia and traveling to England to research is beyond my reach. So I do appreciate your help.  And I did find it most interesting, that he may have served overseas.  When the article mentions the "Peninsula" where would they be talking about?   Tracing family trees tends to give you a great interest in history.
Thankyou again.
Cheers
grumpier

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Peninsular War, 1807 - 1814.
French vs Spain, Portugal, and UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsular_War
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GailW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I also have Parlett ancestors and I have a Samuel Parlett son of Philip Parlet and Mary Spinks (the spelling of the surname is not consistent) privately baptised on 21 Oct 1786 in the Stoke Ferry parish registers. Are you connected to this family?
Gail, NZ

Offline grumpier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 March 16 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi GailW. I have sent you a private message.

Cheers  Grumpier