Author Topic: Francis John Harris - Evesham War Memorial ....  (Read 2672 times)

Offline sharonP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis John Harris - Evesham War Memorial ....
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 06:45 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if there is background information available on soldiers named on Eveshams Memorial please ?
Until very recently I was unaware that my Gt Gt Uncle - Francis John Harris - may have lost his life in Mesopotamia during WW1. He was in the 9th Worcestershire Regiment and I've found various records that give date and location but not that one little piece of the jigsaw to definitely confirm!
I have managed to trace another Gt Uncle who is buried in France and details of his resting place confirm his home address and parents names.....

Family folklore says that my Gt Gt Grandmother sent 6 sons to war and they all came back , however if this is indeed my Francis, something is not quite right!
I believe he married Ada Annie Sutton and had 3 daughters - but cannot find any more births or indeed a death record for him.

Any help, as usual, would be really appreciated !
Pardoe, Stiles/Styles,  Harris,  Drinkwater,  Eagles,  Rolinson, Rollinson,  Fortnam , Athrelpho, Perkins,  Bridges - Woodward - Worcestershire.
Staunton, Woodyatt  - Herefordshire
Bell, Cty Durham

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Francis John Harris - Evesham War Memorial ....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
This excellent website is where you will find info. about Francis John Harris and where he is buried
http://www.rememberthefallen.co.uk/

Regards
Jack

Offline Coventry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Francis John Harris - Evesham War Memorial ....
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know if there is background information available on soldiers named on Eveshams Memorial please ?
Until very recently I was unaware that my Gt Gt Uncle - Francis John Harris - may have lost his life in Mesopotamia during WW1. He was in the 9th Worcestershire Regiment and I've found various records that give date and location but not that one little piece of the jigsaw to definitely confirm!
I have managed to trace another Gt Uncle who is buried in France and details of his resting place confirm his home address and parents names.....

Family folklore says that my Gt Gt Grandmother sent 6 sons to war and they all came back , however if this is indeed my Francis, something is not quite right!
I believe he married Ada Annie Sutton and had 3 daughters - but cannot find any more births or indeed a death record for him.

Any help, as usual, would be really appreciated !

Some information about the Evesham War Memorial has just been published at https://broadwayremembers.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/evesham-war-memorial/

Deakin, Tanser, Tansur, Hirons, Drew, Ward, Tayler, Pownall
Currently researching the men commemorated on the war memorial, Broadway, who died in the First World War