Author Topic: John MacLELLAN married Mary TREVENA 1849 Melbourne Vic  (Read 7338 times)

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John MacLELLAN married Mary TREVENA 1849 Melbourne Vic
« on: Sunday 12 July 09 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Listers,
  Trying to find information on John MacLellan (can be spelt McLellan or MccLellan) and Mary. They are the parents of Elizabeth Mclellan born 1850 in Melbourne Victoria. Elizabeth married Edward Fisher in Collingwood in1871 and lived in Burwood Victoria. I have found a marriage of a John Mclellan to a Mary Trevena in 1849. The family story is that Mary died when Elizabeth was a small child, her father was a seaman (supposedly a Captain) he went back to sea and was lost at sea and Elizabeth was raised by a Scottish family called either Billings or Mullins. I do not know how much of this is true.
   When Mary Trevena came to Australia her sister Grace died on the voyage. Elizabeth named one of her children Grace Trevena for her mother's sister. She also named some of other children Mary, John and Bertram McLellan(spelling is in disput, as it was hard to make out from the copy of the family bible).  Other childrens' names, which have not turned up on her husband's side are Arthur William, Edwin Normanby and Henrietta.
   I can't find out how either party got to Australia or Mary Trevena's death or John's. I guess she was born in Cornwall.
   Elizabeth McLellan must have known family or someone who knew her parents, because of the names. What happened to orphan children in the 1850"s or 60"s? Has anyone information on this family? Or ideas to further this search?
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mclellan married Mary Trevena 1849 Melbourne Vic
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 09 08:19 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at these shipping records for the TREVENA...I wonder if Mary is the unnamed entry.
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=23

TREVENA   ----   -   Feb   1849   Thetis   4A   33
TREVENA   John    25   Feb   1849   Thetis   4A   33
TREVENA   Joseph   27   Feb   1849   Thetis   4A   33
TREVENA   Susannah   25   Feb   1849   Thetis   4A   33
TREVENA   William   25   Feb   1849   Thetis   4A   35
TREVENA   William   5   Feb   1849   Thetis   4A   33

All Book 4A and pages 33 and 35. 

I note that this record has been taken from a church record as it is prior to civil reg in Vic.

MCLELLAN John
TREVENA Mary
1849  Reg#2252
Denomination Presbyterian
Parish Melbourne & Geelong
Fiche 776

Have you this record and is there any further information.  I'm aware that  many copies of the parish records have very little info other than what is online.

MCLELLAN Elizabeth
Father John  Mother Mary
At Melbourne  1850  Reg#8942
Denomination Presbyterian  Parish Melbourne & Geelong
Fiche 178

Do you have a year of death for Mary?

I always think it is a good idea to validate the family stories.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
' Thanks Cando for the information. The only clue I have about the Trevena family is that one of the them died on the way out to Australia and I was told the name Grace Trevena, but she may have been married when making the voyage. I have looked at records of the ships arriving in Australia and am now wondering would Grace have been listed if she had died on the voyage?
 I have no death date for Elizabeth's mother Mary and can,t seem to find one. I have asked 2  family members ( one was my grandfather who knew his Fisher grandparents and spent a lot of time with them) and the both felt that Mary had died before Elizabeth had married and maybe this was a way to hide something the family did not want made public knowledge. Edward Fisher (Elizabeth's husband) was a very strict man and a lay methodist minister.
I have found very little information online such as wills. I think Elizabeth was an only child, again this came from my grandfathers memories of his Melbourne family, but I see no other children listed on the Indexs.
Regards Chris
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 09 08:52 BST (UK) »
There are two entries on the 1856 Electoral roll in Victoria, but neither of them may be your man.

John MCLELLAN Cape Rath, grazier, property listed as freehold, near Hamilton, Grange.  Distict and subdistrict: Normanby.  There is another entry for what appears to be the same person, also Cape Rath, grazier, property listed as leasehold and freehold, near Mt Napier.

John MCLELLAN, sawyer, miner's right, Muckleford.  District Castlemaine, sub-district Muckleford
There is a second entry for what apperas to be this same chap - the only difference being his occupation listed as 'miner'.
There is also a Kenneth MCLELLAN, miner, miner's right, Muckleford.  District Castlemaine, sub-district Muckleford.

Judith  :)
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith.
 I know that there was a John Mclellan married to a Marion Brownlie
and they had a son John Born in 1856 in Hamilton and a daughter Isabelle in 1849 in Portland.
But I do not have any information on the Muckleford John McLellan, shall check this lead out.
Regards Chris

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McLENNEN married Mary TREVENA 1849 Melbourne Vic
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
Chris I have trawled the deaths in Vic and can see no death for Mary McLELLAN [searched Mary McLel*]before 1871 - year of Elizabeth's marriage. There is a death registered in a similar name in 1851 - but info transcribed from Roman Catholic parish records. The marriage cert may note whether or not she was Presbyterian.

It is wonderful having records in a family bible however I decided to purchase a couple of certificates when I found writing difficult to decipher.  Some dates of death recorded in the bible were different to the certificates.  Two dates in the bible were noted after the burial date ::).  The dates on the headstones were the same as the certificates.  I suppose what I am advising is it may be a good idea to occasionally purchase a certificate or two.  I would purchase initially, the marriage certificate of John McLELLAN and Mary TREVENA to see if there is any information that may help you.

It may also be worth having a look at the passenger records on the Thetis - this is the only record that I can find with the name TREVENA however there is this record which may also be worth looking at..it is the same person but entries on two pages in Book 4. There should be more information on the fiche as these records are for Assisted Passengers.

TRAVINE   Mary   34 years   arrived Jan 1849       Duchess of Northumberlan   Book 4  Page 255
TRAVINE   Mary same as above but page 266   

I think the 'd' has been omitted from the ship's name on the index but you will need to search using the ship's name as above.

The Surgeon's report should note the names of those who died on the voyage from England to Melbourne.

Cheers
Cando

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 09 00:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advise Cando. I 'll apply for the certificate and will look into  the name Travine, as well as the Thetis. The death registered in 1851 may be the missing Mary. I agree about checking family history and will try and find Elizabeth's marriage to Edward Fisher in the Historical Index.
Regards Chris

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 09 00:40 BST (UK) »
I actually meant the marriage cert of Mary and John may help you more.

Marriage
FISHER Edward  b. Lincolnshire
MCCLELAN Elizabeth b. Collingwood
1871  Reg# 2218

Do you have all their children?

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 09 00:47 BST (UK) »
I have my doubts about this one - the 2nd given name and the 'd'.  Sorry didn't notice the 'd' when I typed up reply#5.  I would think these are two entries for the same event....probably because of difficulty in reading the parish records.

MCLELLAND
Mary Anne
Parents unknown
At Diamond Creek  1851  Reg#44680
Denomination Roman Catholic
Parish St Francis, Melbourne  Fiche 591

MCLELAND Mary Anne
Parents unknown
At Diamond Creek  1851  Reg#926
Denomination Roman Catholic
Parish St Francis, Melbourne  Fiche 989

You may already know that you can purchase online and immediately download - $17.50
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Trying to find a burial record but the local cemetery known now as Nillumbik [also known as Diamond Creek]cemetery was not gazetted until 1867.

Cheers
Cando