Author Topic: John MacLELLAN married Mary TREVENA 1849 Melbourne Vic  (Read 7336 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McLENNEN married Mary TREVENA 1849 Melbourne Vic
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 July 09 01:22 BST (UK) »
A snippet  ;D

Australian Electoral Rolls
Victoria 1903
FISHER Edward  High Street, Burwood   Blacksmith
FISHER Elizabeth  High Street, Burwood  Home duties

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
I have checked the marriage certificate and there is some useful information . John is able to write his name in a beautiful script,is a member of the Presbyterian church of Scotland and is a bachelor. Mary 's writing is basic but neat and legible and she is not a member of the Presbyterian church of Scotland. She is listed as a widow,( now this is interesting!).
 When I got the page there were 4 entries on it  and it took a while to work it out, there were 3 in a row for 3 October 1849, with John Maclellan's signature on them. So I now know he was Maclellan. But I am puzzled was it normal for those getting married on the same day to witness each others marriage certificates ? Could this mean there is a link, they  were all Listed as residents of Melbourne.
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:38 BST (UK) »
This is exactly one of the reasons I often use when saying that the witnesses on the marriage cert may have no connection at all with those being married.   If those wishing to be married had no family with them often it was up to the domestic staff of the clergyman, his wife or those waiting to be married to be witnesses.  Not unusual.  Resident of Melbourne or of Melbourne is on early parish records.  This is an early parish record remember.

Well Mary was a widow, that is going to make searching for her family [Grace] a bit more difficult.  I am hoping that it is your Mary on the Duchess of Northumberlan/d and she was aged 34.  I think you need to look at the passenger record as there will be more information for those on the Assisted list.

Slight progress ;D

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 July 09 04:37 BST (UK) »
From Argus Tuesday 16th January, 1849

The Duchess of Northumberland arrived yesterday from London and Plymouth, with 264 immigrants after a very favourable passage of 97 days; she brings 48 married couples, 39 single men and 29 single women, 52 boys, 40 girls between 1 - 14; 4 male and 6 female infants; there were 4 deaths and 6 births on the voyage.  The immigrants are principally mechanics, miners and agricultural labourers.
Dr Robinson the Surgeon Superintendent, speaks very favourably of their behaviour, during their voyage, and they seem equally satisfied with their treatment.

The Surgeon's report would hopefully list the names of the deceased.

Cheers
Cando

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 July 09 06:05 BST (UK) »
I have been checking out the names on the Parish records and have found some interesting links. I am not a 100 percent sure,but..
from Victorian Bmd historical records.
 Reg.2251 Jane Jenkin widow married Joseph Bowyer. 3 Oct 1849
 (she signs her name as Jenkin and the minister writes Jenkins)
From Victorian archives  assisted passengers list
for Duchess of Northumberland 1849 is Jenny Jenkins 33 listed with Paul Jenkins14 and Grace Jenkins 12.
 Free census1841 has a Jane Jenkin25, Paul Jenkin5, Grace Jenkin3 and Mary Jenkin60 in Stitihians Cornwall. The ages and names are very close and there was no mention of who was the head, but Jane was listed first and there was no husband listed.

Reg.no 2253 Margaret Langham married James Saunders?(unable to decipher) 3 Oct 1849. On the passsenger list for the Duchess of Northumberland is a Margaret Langham 18.
  It seems more than a coincidence that these 3 should marry on the same day. Any Ideas? Has anyone information  on the families of Jane and Margaret and how they were associated with Mary Trevena or Travine age 34 on the Duchess of Northumberland.
Regards Chris

I
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline jonrees

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John MacLELLAN married Mary TREVENA 1849 Melbourne Vic
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 October 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've not sure how far you've progressed since 2009 but I have a candidate Mary Trevena born 1816 (making 34 age about right at wedding in 1849).

Her parents are Simon Trevena and Jane Thomas. See my database on Trevena on Worldconnect on www.rootsweb.com (all free).

Thanks

Jon Rees

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:23 GMT (UK) »
From Argus Tuesday 16th January, 1849

The Duchess of Northumberland arrived yesterday from London and Plymouth, with 264 immigrants after a very favourable passage of 97 days; she brings 48 married couples, 39 single men and 29 single women, 52 boys, 40 girls between 1 - 14; 4 male and 6 female infants; there were 4 deaths and 6 births on the voyage.  The immigrants are principally mechanics, miners and agricultural labourers.
Dr Robinson the Surgeon Superintendent, speaks very favourably of their behaviour, during their voyage, and they seem equally satisfied with their treatment.

The Surgeon's report would hopefully list the names of the deceased.

Cheers
Cando

Do we know when the Duchess of Northumberland left London and/or Plymouth?

Cheers
Jack Gee.
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Do we know when the Duchess of Northumberland left London and/or Plymouth?

Embarked emigrants at Gravesend 29 September 1848, sailed from Plymouth 10 October 1848, arrived Port Phillip 15 January 1849.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John MacLELLAN married Mary TREVENA 1849 Melbourne Vic
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 December 14 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Merlin,
are you a ship person of knowledge or just the Duchess?

Cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.