Author Topic: Joan Chesney Powe  (Read 3012 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joan Chesney Powe
« on: Saturday 13 December 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Joan Chesney Powe was an Australian born journalist who spent many years in England where she married twice before returning to Australia where she died.
Though I have traced her later movements, I have so far been unable to confirm when she was born and wonder if it is  possible to track it down

She was the daughter of Arthur Blaney Powe and Vida Eveline Coleman who married in Sydney in 1924.

On a 1959 passenger list her date of birth is given as 12 December 1930 (from passport details?), while on a 1949 list she is 23, i.e. born c1926.

From Ryerson her date of death is 20 December 1994 aged 70.

She is on a 1949 Australian electoral roll, and an Australian contact tells me that at that time one had to be 21 to be listed. If the roll was compiled the previous year, this would mean a birth before 1928.
Also, in 1944 she at Sydney University campaigning for the reintroduction of gowns. I wonder if this could mean she was a second or third year student rather than in her first year - and thus probably 19 or 20. Anyway, this does indicate the 1930 birth date is incorrect, and should be 1926 or earlier?

To complete the story she married Leslie S W Frost in 1961 then Richard Vick in 1975, both times in London. And according to Ryerson, her death notice says she was late of Chiswick, Sydney.

I realise records of Australian births of less than a hundred  years ago are not available, but is there any way to find her birth? For instance, is it possible to trace her in Sydney University records?

Will grateful for any thoughts on this.

Thanks
John

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Chesney Powe
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 December 14 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27934666
Sydney Morning Herald  11 May 1945
ENGAGEMENTS
OTTAWAY-POWE.-The Engagement is announced of Joan Chesney, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Powe, of Northwood, to Noel Livingstone, second son of Mrs. M. G. Ottaway and late Mr. H. L. Ottaway, of Loftus Street. West Perth.

On a 1959 passenger list her date of birth is given as 12 December 1930

The manifest I viewed had 20 Dec 1930.

Cando

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 14 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Are a few POWE trees in Ancestys public trees. The POWE family tree gives Joans date of birth as 20 Dec 1930

Google has a fair few refs to her father.

Bye

Emilyp

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 December 14 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Are a few POWE trees in Ancestys public trees. The POWE family tree gives Joans date of birth as 20 Dec 1930

Google has a fair few refs to her father.

Bye

Emilyp

They appear to have copied from one another with one tree giving the source as the ship's  manifest.

Cando

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 December 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the muddle on the 1930 date, but the trees have obviously copied the date from the 1959 passenger list which is inaccurate.

This newspaper page from 1944 has a picture of her at Sydney University. Unless she was a child prodigy, whch I doubt, there is no way she could have been born 1930.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/76154638?searchTerm=%22joan%20powe%22&searchLimits=l-decade=194|||l-year=1944

The page that shows she got her BA in 1948 is interesting as, from other articles on Trove, she was working as a journalist in 1946-1947 - sometimes using the name Ann(e) Chesney.

I suppose the answer to my question will have to wait for another ten years or so, when the 1920s births will be released. No sign of any children from either of her marriages.

Regards
John

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 December 14 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Try requesting a lookup for her death notice 3 Jan 1995.via Ryerson Currently only 28 POWEs in NSW on line Whitepages, so not a Smith type name.
 Do her UK marriage certs give any clue ? Probably not .  Any info on The Times ?
Her parents death certs should give her age

Bye

EmilyP

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 December 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Probate Packets of parents may contain death certificate which should show Joan and her siblings ages.
Arthur Blaney Powe - Date of Death 26/07/1960 http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=%5CItem%5C1012818

Vida Eveline Powe - Date of Death 23/10/1966 http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=%5CItem%5C1228009

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 December 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
PM sent with SMH death and funeral notice for Joan Chesney VICK (nee Powe), which has many names. Date of death was 30th December 1994. Age is 70 years