Author Topic: GRAVILL - Charles Duncan  (Read 824 times)

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GRAVILL - Charles Duncan
« on: Tuesday 16 December 14 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I was having a look at a few newspaper articles my cousin had scanned for me and there was an obituary for my Great-Grandfather (paternal). His name is Charles Duncan Gravill and was born in Dundee. I have two passenger lists showing him emmigrate to NZ from the UK, first is 23 Jul 1909 and the second is in 1915. He worked for Wilson & Horton in NZ (NZ Herald) and was in the NZ Defense force during WW1. He also was back in Scotland for his marriage in 1918.

My question is this: The obituary says he died when he was 65 and that he "spent a short period in Australia before coming to New Zealand about 33 years ago." Now he died in 1948 so his immgration that is mentioned matches the 1915 passenger list. However I am a bit baffled about Australia. I did a quick search for Gravill on Trove, but didn't find anything apart from a book about his grandfather Captain Gravill. I'm really not too sure where to look next. I imagine it will be newspaper printing related, but not sure when and for how long.

Any ideas? I have already done a quick search on Ancestry and FindMyPast under their immigration/travel section.
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GRAVILL - Charles Duncan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  What is the name of the ship for the 1915 sailing please?

Leanne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
There’s a  Mr Gravell or Gravill (handwritten passenger list, no ‘dot’ to make it an ‘i’) travelled  Saloon class from Napier to Sydney arriving 21 Oct 1910 on the Ship ‘Victoria’

The passenger list is not yet transcribed to the mariners and ships in Australian waters website, so you may need to look for the reel at the NSW SRO at Kingswood NSW, but there’s NO initials for that chap on the image I have sighted.   
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/search.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I would be guessing but it seems he went to New Zealand in 1909 could not get work, left for Australia where he worked for 5 years returning in 1915.

So he presumably worked at one of the Newspapers. Unlikely he would have earned a mention IN the newspapers unless he married, got divorced, ran foul of the law in that 5 year period. Possibly worked for the Sydney Morning Herald with my grandfather ;D. As far as I know there are no surviving employee lists.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  What is the name of the ship for the 1915 sailing please?

Leanne

Hi Leanne
I am not too sure. I had a look at my notes and it was before I was recording my sources properly. I have even flagged it as questionable. The only information I have is "GRAVILL  C D  1883  —  1915  Passenger lists  Wellington, New Zealand" I think this was from FindMyPast years ago. I have a lot of other records to go through but they are for his wife.

Mel

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I would be guessing but it seems he went to New Zealand in 1909 could not get work, left for Australia where he worked for 5 years returning in 1915.

So he presumably worked at one of the Newspapers. Unlikely he would have earned a mention IN the newspapers unless he married, got divorced, ran foul of the law in that 5 year period. Possibly worked for the Sydney Morning Herald with my grandfather ;D. As far as I know there are no surviving employee lists.

Neil

That makes sense Neil. Now glad he wasn't in the papers!