Author Topic: Andrew MOORE born Monaghan 1847  (Read 5323 times)

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew MOORE born Monaghan 1847
« on: Wednesday 28 March 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

This is my first post on RootsChat so here goes!
I am looking for a birth record for Andrew Moore born 1847 in Monaghan. On his marriage certificate to Annie Eveline Doyle in County Clare in 1873 it states his father was George Moore who was a farmer. The name 'Foster' is linked to this family - it was a middle name passed down the generations. The only record I found that I thought MIGHT be linked was the 1911 Ireland census where there is a John Foster Moore in Co Down who was a Presbyterian clergyman and he had 3 daughters all who were born in Monaghan around the same time as Andrew but I don't know if there is a connection.
Andrew went on to be a police constable..don't know if that helps.

That's it - any help much appreciated. I have hit a brick wall with this.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew MOORE born Monaghan 1847
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
PRONI (www.proni.gov.uk) has this listed under Will Extracts-
"Administration of the estate of John Foster Moore late of 29 Rosamore-avenue Ormean-road Belfast Retired Presbyterian Minister who died 2 August 1903 granted at Belfast to Agnes Moore Spinster."

Would this be your Andrew Moore?
"Administration of the estate of Andrew Moore late of 32 Beechfield-street Belfast R.I.C. Pensioner who died 19 December 1896 granted at Belfast to Alexander Moore Merchant."
Although Andrew died in 1896 the estate wasn't probated until 19 Aug.1903 which may tie in with the date of John's death.

I searched for the John Foster Moore in 1911 census for Co. Down that you mentioned but couldn't find him (the above minister died in 1903 before that census).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Andrew Moore who died in 1896 buried Belfast City Cemetery-
Mr. Andrew Moore of 33 Beechfield Street, age 86, died 19 Dec.1896, buried 21 Dec.1896 grave K2 147.

So not the Andrew Moore born 1847.   
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

No my Andrew Moore died in Co Limerick in 1904 so not the same one. I was just curious if the 'Foster' was a link between the two but it probably isn't. Maybe 'Foster' was Andrew's mother's maiden name. I don't know.

Thanks anyway.

Emma

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
There was a Foster Moore, living in Lecklevera, Kilmore whose son Robert  married  Mary Jane Brown daughter of  Robert Brown, Clonavarn,  Kilmore   on 13th Nov 1856 in First Monaghan Pres...and an Elizabeth sister of Robert Moore who married Thomas Stockdale  on 27th Oct 1854 in Kilmore Church..so while it doesn't fit your dates as such with Robert being born c.1835 but a Foster Moore for you if it helps...possible a sibling of your George (???)...

Myself and a few others have photographed quite a few graveyards in Monaghan, they are at http://goo.gl/e8hNP you will see text files in 1st column which you could open and search for Moores then photos can be found for them via Column2...you might get something from gravestones!!

Regards
Dave
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline philiprourke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
I have the same Moore/Muir family with a link to the name Foster.
My GGrandfather married a Maria Moore/Muir around 1858-60 in Monaghan accoring to the birth cerificate of their son. The Parish was pretty elegible on the certificate but began with Drum... it looks like the Monaghan Parish of Drumsnat is the most likely match. Maria and her husband moved to Scotland very soon after the marriage. The family story was that it was a Catholic/Protestant marriage and the couple eloped (or escaped?). Their second son my grandfather was given the name Foster (a very un-catholic name at that time), and as yet I haven't found the source of the name. Maria's parets were William Muir and Sarah Brown. You will note that the Family name is alternately recorded Moore or Muir.
During my search for a 'Foster' I did find a Foster Muir in Coatbridge, Scotland who also hailed from Monaghan of similar ages with Maria, and who by coincidence? recorded his parents as Archibald Muir & Sarah Brown... Brother, Step Brother, Cousin..., or simply coincidence. They all lived and died in Coatbridge, and at times living very close to one another, but as yet I have definite links