Author Topic: Help with a Callan family in Ballybay in the 1850's/60's  (Read 2752 times)

Offline davidlstern

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a Callan family in Ballybay in the 1850's/60's
« on: Sunday 16 November 14 16:24 GMT (UK) »
My wife's great-grandfather, Patrick John McCall, was born in Glasgow in 1857 to an Irish couple named Patrick and Judith McCall. All we know is their names, that they were Catholic, that Patrick was a farmer in Ireland and a laborer in Scotland, that Judith's maiden name was also McCall, and that Patrick died before 1888. There are literally no further records of this couple in Scotland or England, and no record of their son before his marriage in London in 1888 - and trust me I have looked. The fact that there are NO records other than this birth makes it a real mystery, and makes me assume that the answer lies in Ireland.

The only glimmer of hope that I have is that Judith is an unusual name, and that there is a history of Scottish McCalls in Ulster.

I know that the records are sketchy, and that this is needle in a haystack sort of stuff, but on the possible theory that Patrick may have indeed died soon after his son's birth, there is also a family with a Francis Callan and Judith McCall that appears in the records in Ballybay beginning with children in 1865 - a possible remarriage?

A true mystery - can anyone help?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Callan family in Ballybay in the 1850's/60's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 14 17:57 GMT (UK) »
9 pages (so far) on the topic for the family in LANARKSHIRE-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705020

Another new topic on CAVAN board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705458
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline davidlstern

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Callan family in Ballybay in the 1850's/60's
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, all the same family - having exhausted the Scotland exploration was trying to shift the focus to Irish records