Author Topic: John NEWTON, York Factory, Manitoba 1748 - 1750  (Read 7855 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John NEWTON, York Factory, Manitoba 1748 - 1750
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
The Settee name is so seldom used, I wonder if it was derived from Setter.... Names were sometimes changed so they could be found amongst a large number of same surname...  http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/001/098/001098-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=p9nlercnreas63eddn1a75fik1&q1=set*&q2=&q3=&interval=57
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cdn47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 01:28 BST (UK) »
James Settee was my 3rd great grandfather.  Some years ago, I was able to obtain a copy of a statement written by him that is filed in the BC Archives in Victoria.  In it, Settee tells how he was born in a village near the Nelson River in Northern Manitoba in 1811-1812 and at approximately 11 years of age, was taken to Red River Settlement where he received an education and training as a member of the clergy in the Anglican church. He further stated that he was named James after an HBC chief factor, Nelson after the Nelson River and Smith after his great-grandfather Capt. Francis Smith.  He chose to alter the name to Settee.  I know that it has sometimes been confused with Setter but there doesn't appear to be any connection.

I did come across an interesting post earlier today on another forum -

Info from a paperback Heros of Faith
John Newton, author of Amazing Grace
1 half sister - married
2 half bothers - William dies at age thirty and Harry served with Royal Navy in Boston, Mass.
Father was a British Merchant Sea Captain, who went to Fort York in Canada to be Governor in 1748 and drowned.

(*Henry was frequently called Harry in information I've came across)
http://genforum.genealogy.com/newton/messages/3182.html 

Offline NJ25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Cdn47 and JJ,

This is all very interesting for me. I had not previously found any mention of a ‘country wife’ whilst Cpt Newton was at Fort York but it all adds colour to the man.

I concur that Cpt John Newton did not take any of his ‘English’ family with him to Fort York, I have found no evidence to indicate they went with him when he left on 9th May 1748 onboard the Prince Rupert from Gravesend.

Thomasina (the second wife) did marry for a third time after Newton’s death and I believe it was to a close friend of the family, which caused some comment by Reverend John Newton. I think they ended up living in Devon.

I’d still be interested in learning more of William (1736) and Henry/Harry (1740), Thomas (1741) and James (1743). Am still trying to make the concrete connection to my 5 x great grandfather Andrew Newton (born c.1760). Does anyone know where the sons married/died?

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
good day all,

Yes, those types of relationships did take place back then between the European "new comers" and the aboriginal women. You may want to make inquiries to the local and shoreline indian bands around York Factory and along "the Bay" shoreline. You may also want to contact AANDC for info as well, however I am not sure who would be the equivalent of the Department of Indian Affairs back then. I am not sure if the Government of Manitoba would have info either :-(  Hope this helps.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 May 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hehe, my husband  ( who is metis) read the sentence 
"I had not previously found any mention of a ‘country wife’ whilst Cpt Newton was at Fort York but it all adds colour to the man."
and said, " it certainly can add colour to the children..."   :P ;D

When his ancestor had a country wife it was listed in his records that he was buying ribbons, and later that he was seen with a woman & a child....  The lad was later baptised so there was some proof ... HBC men were not supposed to take on women, but they were so handy for so many things ::) Cooking, Sewing,  including making snowshoes, making the pemmican, and the hide storage bags. Gardening in summer, teaching them their language, acting as guides...and much more...The chief factors sometimes took on several women at once

....So...having a wife was against company policy...and because they were aboriginal, the women didn't warrant documentation. 
With Newton already married it may have been kept more hush-hush...plus he had only a short stint there. So the truth may never be known about the lad's ancestors...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline pdickinson2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 August 14 02:09 BST (UK) »
Did you every find more information about the children of Capt. John Newton?  I'm trying to determine if any of his children or grandchildren moved to North America.

Offline NJ25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 August 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As far as I can establish these are the children of Captain John Newton and his second wife, Thomasina (nee Cox):

William b.1736 d.1766/67

Henry/Harry b.1740 d. circa 1809 (aged 69. Harry was a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy and served aboard HMS Lizard, there has been a suggestion of a connection to Boston, Mass., but in 1765 he married Nancy Ann Manby in Yorkshire, England.

Thomas b.1741 d. ? in Massachusetts

James b.1743

Thomasina b.1746 d.1814 (she married Benjamin Nind in 1748, of Saint Olave parish, London, England)

I hope that helps. As far as I can determine there is an American line stemming from Thomas, as indicated here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/93DG-ZKN

Offline pdickinson2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 August 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you