Author Topic: Minnie Wilson and MIke Brown married 26 Feb 1913, Vancouver, Brtish Columbia  (Read 11116 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Wilson and MIke Brown married 26 Feb 1913, Vancouver, Brtish Columbia
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 August 14 05:09 BST (UK) »
Gulielmus Browne....parents Maria Dalton and Joannis Browne!!!
This one would be William .. the father could also have been William Michael....I keep getting different results, but if we could find all ten....mind you the records may not go back far enough

There is also a Margartam Brown & Annam Brown but those are the only four I've been able to come up with so far... :P
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Wilson and MIke Brown married 26 Feb 1913, Vancouver, Brtish Columbia
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 August 14 06:42 BST (UK) »
Amazing what you are finding. Wow.  JJ where did you find the latest info on Browns? Maria is Latin for Mary and I think Joannis is John.  In the History of Atchison it says Thomas Brown has sisters Anna and Margaret.....gee if we aren't on the right track we are getting nearer!

I was just reading page 519-520 of the History of Atchison Kansas. It's about a Walter E Brown who's father was William E Brown born Penn (that's where JP Brown married Sarah Wagner) and Walter's grandfather was Michael Brown, Native of Ireland. Our family story is that our Mike (Michael William) Brown say that Mike had a bother William. ...will have to do more looking to see if I can find a bit more about this Walter E Brown mob!

Chat soon  G

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 August 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Have you read through every page that has been posted on this thread? I mentioned earlier the names of the girls who emigrated with the 2 lads

It might be on your version of Ancestry... I do not get this result every time I search, I liked the older database better is was far more consistent.

I saw the forenaming used in some older traditional Roman Catholic churches in various areas of England Ireland and Canada...am sure it was used wherever the more staunch traditional priests were posted...... Yes, Joannis is John but can have other variations ( Johannis, johani) ....simpler versions of the other fornames might be Elizae, Thomae,  Mariae, Guelme, Michaeli  but each priest can have his own versions of the naming.

Joannis is also Jonnis and Joannes just within that family alone
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline barleyfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
Glasson is the Civil Registration District for Coosan, Athlone

Abbey Graveyard, Athlone, 

O Lord have Mercy on ye
Soul of James Wansborough
who Dept ys Life march 27th
1819 aged 64 yrs Also his Son
who Depd Nov 15th 1816 aged (-2) yrs
Erecd by his Son Robt.

O Lord have mercy on
the Soul of james Brown
who depd ys life in march
the 25th 18(8)4 aged
70 years this Mt was
Erected By his beloved
Son Patt Brown for
them & posterity

(date uncertain - it may be 18(9)4 or 18(3)4

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 August 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barleyfield for the headstone inscriptions
I contacted St Marys parish at Athlone and they sent me a list of baptism of Browns round the period we are searching and some very interesting info about the records which may be useful to other researchers:
"St. Mary’s Parish there are no records for the years 1827 to 1833 or for the year 1836. There are single entries for the years 1834, 1835, 1837 and 1838.  There are no records for 1859 to 1862 or for 1866.  The building of the new St Mary’s from 1859 to 1862  can explain why those records went missing but there is no trace of records for  the other years at all."
Cheerio for now
Gerri
Down Under on a gloriously sunny winters morning

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 August 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, barleyfield & welcome to rootschat! Thanks for joining in!  :D :D

Gerry, when you add something in other countries, be sure to give a brief outline of what you know and also link to this thread. You had not mentioned you already had baptisms from Ireland. Polarbear has been working hard behind the scenes to look for more. We don't want to have people put effort into duplicating what is already known.
Still hoping to find some info to make the connection. However....Some ancestors did not want their true information found, and this could well be one of them.

His Montana story of being a very young man is no way portrayed in the uploaded image ...
The marriage states parents that no descendants were ever told about...
His age at marriage makes me wonder if he'd been married previously....
If he was from the U.S. why did he not hurry back to show rellies the new bride ...?
Instead he hightails it to Australia...Yes the parents may have died, but he said he had siblings?
Where are the parents and siblings on U.S. census?  Where is he in U.S. census?
Why did he lie about Kansas if he wasn't actually born there?

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 August 14 05:31 BST (UK) »
Good arvo everyone
My limited Latin agrees that the name Gulielmus translates to William.
Family story says Mike Brown has a brother William and William is suppose to be Mike Brown's middle name (or at least that's what his wife Minnie said on his death certificate)

I just got the info from St Mary's Athlone yesterday....I did not have it before so I could not mention it and  I had not ought to thmention that I had emailed to a church in hope of finding more info.  I only emailed St Mary's when the Athlone and Glassan Browns showed up with the Brown & Wandsbro as parents and wondered why some of the children were missing.
I was so happy to get a reply...its the first Irish church I have emailed to that has replied to me  :o  even though the info was the same as already mentioned on this post with the further info from the church regarding which years the records are missing.
It was JJ and Polarbear who found the Glassan Westmeath records.  I got lucky to be able to find the Catholic Church of St Marys and would never have found that without JJ and PolarBears help.
Cheers   G

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 August 14 06:00 BST (UK) »
The Mike Brown sitting all dressed up in a very interesting looking room does not say this is a person working on a chicken ranch.  I agree.  I am passing on information I got from my family. 
Family stories say Mike Brown left home age about 13 or 14 and went off to make his fortune.  He went to work at a chicken ranch in Montana and that is where this photo was suppose to have been taken.  This does not appear to be the photo of a youth and to me looks more like a man at least in his 20s'
What an interesting room he is photographed in.  I feel there must be some further clues in that photo. :-\
The facts and family stories do not all line up - I do agree. 
However just as I was about to think all the family stories were fiction I did read on pages 519 and 520 in the publication " The History of Atchison County, Kansas" by Sheffield 
https://archive.org/stream/historyofatchiso01inga#page/518/mode/2up
Walter E Brown b 1887 Whiting Jackson Ks. Parents William E Brown and Martha Willis Gilmore (Penn).  Then it says William E Brown's father was Irishman Michael Brown. 
It further says William E Brown went Kansas with his parents in 1872.. and ....according to this book William E Brown's father is Michael Brown.  Anyway the book further says these Brown's settled in Brown Co. Kansas.  So now it's time to look for William E Brown along with his mother Martha and father Michael in Brown County Kansas....next census would be 1880 or go back to 1870 and look for Michael, Martha and William in Penn in the 1870 census.
I am wondering if my cousins granddad Mike Brown's mother Elizabeth/Lizzy Wainsborough (or however it is spelt) died and granddad Browns father Michael Brown remarried...that does seem possible.
As JJ said not everything adds up.
And family stories say that Granddad Mike Brown was very fond of his sisters.  I got thinking and called my cousins to ask if granny Minnie ever met Mike Browns family....and they do not think her did. 
So now I have to also wonder why and why did he not take his bride to meet his beloved sisters....and why can't we find those beloved sisters.
However my cousin did call me back and told me that granddad Mike Brown did write to his family  and they wrote back but all the letters were destroyed when my cousins family home in Qld got flooded some years ago (in the 1940's or 1950's). 
I'm going to look for Michael Brown and his wife Martha and son William E Brown in the 1870 Penn census.
Chat soon  G

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 August 14 07:12 BST (UK) »
I am about over the Browns....correction to my previous post........William Brown had the wife Martha Wallis nee Gilmore not Michael.

I got too many Browns running around my head!  :D

And those Browns are not so easy to find in any census!
1 Mar 1875 Kansas census had:
Michael age 43 farmer born Ireland
Catherine age 38 housekeeper born Ireland
William age 18 farmer born Penn
They all lived in NY before moving to Kansas

If Catherine is Michael Brown's wife then Michael Brown senior has either remarried or this is not the Brown family we are looking for.....well that is if granddad Mike Brown told the truth about his parents names on his marriage cert as Mike Brown and Lizzie Wainsborough (sic)!  I am guessing finding a death anywhere (Ireland or USA) for an Elizabeth (Lizzie) Brown would be near impossible. I have not had any success yet.

I need a cup of tea.  I am interested in what JJ and Polarbear think and Barleyfield with that amazing info on graves from Ireland? 

Cheerio for now  G