Author Topic: John Lloyd Thomas, Missionary, died at Stamford, Ontario on 27th February 1849  (Read 2383 times)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lloyd Thomas, son of the Rev. L L Thomas of Newport , Pembs., Wales, died in Stamford, Ontario close to Niagara Falls. My great grandmother was named Henrietta Niagara Thomas in his honour when she was born in May 1849.
I wonder if anyone can discover the circumstances surrounding his death. Illness, injury or "killed by ...?" as questioned on our hand-written family tree.
  "On the 27th of February last, at Danby House, Stamford, near the Falls of Niagara, North America, in the 27th year of his age, the Rev. John Lloyd Thomas, the eldest son of the Rev. Llewellyn Lloyd Thomas, Rector of Newport, Pembrokeshire. The deceased young clergyman was an ornament of his profession. Having given proofs of superior talents and acquirements he had been appointed "Travelling Missionary" in the Talbot district, on Lake Erie, where, during his short clerical career, he gained the hearts and affections of all who knew him, and where his loss is now sincerely lamented. We need not add, that the intelligence of the early death of this amiable and excellent young clergyman, has occasioned very deep affliction to his numerous relatives and friends in his native country."
- from The Welshman 20th April 1849
"A very beautiful white marble tablet, with black border and cornices has been lately (in 1849) placed in the Church of St. John, Stamford, Niagara District, over the Reading Desk, to the Memory of the late Rev. JOHN LLOYD THOMAS, travelling missionary."
Is it still there, I wonder.
Thanks
Richard PJ
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Lloyd Thomas, Missionary, died at Stamford, Ontario on 27th February 1849
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

In 1849 there was a cholera outbreak. Your Rev. Thomas would have been treating those with the sickness. The Erie Canal was a major emigration route west and the disease and death spread rampantly in this area.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Lloyd Thomas, Missionary, died at Stamford, Ontario on 27th February 1849
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Linda.
It seems credible that John Lloyd Thomas died of cholera in February 1849. Wikipedia tells of pandemics in 1832 and 1849, so John may have succumbed to cholera in the early stages of that outbreak.
The newspaper articles of the time do not mention that possibility, but it was at the beginning of that outbreak and they may not have known.
Richard PJ
RPJ

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

There was an outbreak in 1832. I would think the 1849 outbreak was probably better know than one thinks.

Have you looked into the smaller newspapers for the area. I would suggest checking for an obituary or article in the Niagara Mail published 1846-1851. It exists on microform and could be borrowed on interlibrary loan. You might want to contact your local library. Details for the newspaper: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e9j/

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Linda.
I hope that will be available to me here in Northern California.
I wonder how I could obtain a copy of the death certificate, assuming there was one?
Richard
P.S. Happy Thanksgiving. We're going for a walk on a mild, sunny day.
RPJ

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

Should be no problem borrowing via Interlibrary loans. Libraries loan world wide. Restrictions probably, i.e. in library use.

Linda

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I think you need to hope for a newspaper account. Registration of deaths began later in Ontario.
Have a nice Thanks giving too.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 14 14:10 GMT (UK) »
St John's Anglican church built in 1828 has been preserved as an historic site.  It was replaced by a new building on an adjacent lot in 1957 which is still in use for religious purposes.  With a bit of Googling you should be able to find a contact from this church to see if the memorial still exists.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 December 14 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

Discovered some issues are available online. Sadly not yet for his death date; however, maybe you might find something of interest browsing those available online.

Niagara Chronicle:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=iH-uZ7U-co4C
Niagara Mail:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=WzTVkKNmPSkC