Author Topic: Cawdell's at Willian  (Read 5437 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Cawdell's at Willian
« on: Saturday 08 February 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon

I'm trying to prove that a daughter baptised at Willian in 1739/40 to James and Elizabeth Cawdell is my ancestor. However the current transcripts on findmypast and the IGI are taken from a scanned image where most of the name is obscured, showing only the end letters 'an'.

The ancestor I'm trying to research is called Susanna who was born c.1739. Her future husband was William Hankin. My earliest record of them is producing three children in Enfield in 1774, 1776 and 1781. Susanna appears to have been buried in 1816 (c.1739), and William in 1833 (c.1747).

I recently found a marriage entry at Royston for a William Hankin and Susanna Cawdell in 1767. In the Royston PR's there is a William Hankin baptised in 1747 which ties in with my William. The Cawdell entry at Willian in 1739/40 is also spot on for my Susanna, but with the first name covered up, I cannot be 100% certain.

If anyone has access to a more complete version of the Willian PR's, can you please see if that Cawdell entry is my Susanna (perhaps baptised as Susan?)

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Cawdell's at Willian
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 May 14 13:17 BST (UK) »

If anyone has access to a more complete version of the Willian PR's, can you please see if that Cawdell entry is my Susanna (perhaps baptised as Susan?)

Hi

FreeREG has this..
County   Hertfordshire
Place   Willian
Church   All Saints   
Baptism Date   23 Mar 1739/40
Forename   Ann
Sex   F
Father Forename   James
Mother Forename   Elizabeth
Father Surname   CAWDELL
File Number   664

Hope this helps...

Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 May 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Thanks for the information. The first name could be Ann, but just to be sure I've uploaded the image of the PR to the Deciphering Forum to see what other members think - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=686482.new#new

Offline Harvest Lily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
Not sure whether we are tracing the same family, but my line of Cawdell's go back to  Edward (1667) who lived in Baldock - not a million miles from Willian! I have an extensive tree attached to this gentleman but can't find a record of your Susanna and William on there which leads me to believe this may be a new branch previously unknown to me?  Would love to make contact to see if I can tie this tree in with mine.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I am also linked to the Cawdell's, although my line is from just up the road at Weston.

You also need to be aware that Willian and Baldock are closely linked.

The poorer part of Baldock, known as "Norton End" was intersected by the parishes of Baldock, Willian, Norton and Bygrave.

Quite often the "Willian Cawdells" would have actually lived in the Norton End part of Baldock which is some miles from the village of Willian.

Worth bearing in mind.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »

HALS has details of the marriage

William Hankin / Sus Cawdell
Royston 11 Oct 1767

I'd spend a few hours searching HALS

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I realise I'm coming to this late in the day (& forgive me of this is a daft enqiry) but have the Cawdells any overlap with the Cordells at Walkern & thereabouts?  I'm trying to trace OH's family, which includes Cordells & it strikes me that the pronunciations of the names are rather similar & could possibly have been confused if spoken rather than written

Maggott

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 November 14 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggott,

Two of my generations of Cawdles/Cawdells are living in Weston between 1716 and 1744.  Weston is the next village from Walkern.

For Example -

Edward Cawdle married Eliza Worby in 1742 at Walkern.

Edward was christened at Weston in 1717.

In 1690 the family is spelt as Cordwell and they are in Aston (Again the next village from Weston)

I have spellings including Cawdle, Caudle, Cawdell and Cordell, all in the same family line.

Do you know who you are looking for?

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 December 14 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stevew & thank you for your post.

At the moment I'm trying to trace 19th century Cordells. I  was once shown a Boorman photo album &  told that 's/he was a Cordell'. The person who showed me the album is long dead. so I can't ask for a reminder.

I'm really tracing Boormans, so I'm hoping to find a Cordell who married a Boorman... but this would belong before the people you mention.

Good wishes
Maggott