Author Topic: Elizabeth Potter/Taylor's death near Falkirk c1851  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Potter/Taylor's death near Falkirk c1851
« on: Tuesday 01 April 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Potter married Edward Taylor in 1782.

She appears in the 1841 census as Elizabeth Tayler, 82, living with her daughter Mary, 50 in Falkirk.

She is not with Mary in 1851 although a newspaper announcement of a sale in Dec 1850 talks of 'property acquired by Elizabeth Potter, relict of the deceased Edward Taylor, farmer ...(on) 3rd Sep 1795'.

I can't find the death of any Elizabeth Potter/Taylor in Stirlingshire on Scotlands People, let alone one with both names. Can anyone else?

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Potter/Taylor's death near Falkirk c1851
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
The attached is just about a possibility. The date (Jan 1851) would explain how she could be selling land in Laurieston in Dec 1850 but not be in the 1851 census. It does look more like Miss than Mrs though; and she would have had to be in Falkirk rather than Laurieston, although the burial record is from Polmont.

Richard

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard ,

and she would have had to be in Falkirk rather than Laurieston

Maybe picking you up wrong here , but was Laurieston not the address in the 1841 Census ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
The 1841 address was Mary St, Falkirk, which would fit with the burial entry. My concern was that the 1850 newspaper entry talked of her selling off half her land in Laurieston, so I had assumed she had moved (back) there. On reflection though, perhaps she just owned the land, but didn't live there.

If the entry says 'Mrs' rather than 'Miss' I'm becoming more convinced that it is the right person.

Richard

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at the http://www.freecen.org.uk/ transcription it has the address as Mary St. , Laurieston.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
OK; thanks. Ancestry only mentions Falkirk.

It's looking a little less likely then.

R

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
What's probably happened is Lauriston is on one of the previous pages of the Census.
The address would then be Mary St. , Lauriston , in the Parish of Falkirk

There is a 6 inch map with Mary St. here -
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/

Enter Lauriston Falkirk in the search box , then select the six inch 1843 - 1882 map.

ev

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Ancestry only mentions Falkirk.

You need to check anything you find on Ancestry or other sites by looking up the original records, which often contain information not contained in Ancestry.

I found one on another site yesterday. It was a baptism in 1788 of someone born at a farm called Milfield in the parish of Guthrie, which is in the County of Angus, which used to be known as Forfarshire, or the County of Forfar. It was indexed on that site as "Milfield, Forfar" which is directly misleading because it might give someone the idea that this person was born in the town or parish of Forfar! Use online trees, transcriptions and so on as a pointer to hep find the original documents

As for Elizabeth Potter or Taylor, if that death had been hers she might have been described as Mrs Taylor, or conceivably (though unlikely) Miss Potter but hardly as Miss Taylor. So I doubt that this is in fact the person you are looking for.

If, as seems to be the case, she actually owned land and/or buildings, you need to consult the Register of Sasines. These are the records of changes of ownership of 'heritable property', i.e. land and buildings. They are in the National Records of Scotland in General Register House, Edinburgh but you would either need to go there in person, or get someone to go on your behalf.

The abridgments of sasines, which are summaries of the original rather long-winded documents, normally give the names of all parties involved in a transaction and of their relationships to one another. These have been digitised using an optical character recognition system, and the results are less than 100% satisfactory, but they certainly beat the alternative method, which was very tedious and time-consuming.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions: I have looked at sasines before and may go there again.

I realised the entry couldn't be her if it said 'Miss' but I was hoping it might read 'Mrs'. That said I think the one below is the right one.

Richard