Author Topic: DRUMMOND STUART 1747 marriage occupation of groom?  (Read 11700 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DRUMMOND STUART 1747 marriage occupation of groom?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Doug: I am in agreement with your comments 100%. My family did originate in Glasgow as did Alexander Drummond "Gardener in Glasgow".  John Drummond, living a few households away from my family in Cambuslang in 1807, was married to Elizabeth Bird in Ochiltree, Ayrshire. Coincidentally, he was also a gardener by occupation. So I wonder if he married Elizabeth in HER parish but was from Glasgow originally AND the son of Alexander Drummond.  To really complicate this, there was a Mary Drummond with a brother named John born in Comrie, Perthshire to an Alex. Drummond and Margaret McEwen. Right time frame but could they have travelled to Glasgow?  Many more questions.

I believe the 1807 List of Inhabitants of Cambuslang was compiled by Rev. Dr. John Robertson and Rev. Dr. James Meek, Ministers in Cambuslang at the time. It was included in this book: A history of Cambuslang. A Clydesdale Parish. By James Alexander Wilson, OBE, MD. Glasgow, Jackson Wylie &Co, 1929. 208 pp.