Author Topic: McEwan- Anderson - Black Help  (Read 4871 times)

Offline grimnar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McEwan- Anderson - Black Help
« on: Wednesday 25 March 09 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Iv hit a bit of a brickwall.

William MCEWAN(Foreman at Alloa Colliery) and Marion ANDERSON had daughter Margaret in 1796 in Clackmannanshire, town unknown. Margaret married John BLACK( Sower and then Carrier)  and had 5 children. Margaret died 17 Apr 1871, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire.

John and Margaret BLACK's children:

David      1822, Alloa
John        1826, Alloa
Margaret 1829, Alloa
Isabella   1831, Alloa
Ann          1833, Alloa. Emigrated to Australia

I hope someone can help me with any information in regard to these ancestors, who are proving very elusive

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McEwan- Anderson - Black Help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi grimnar,

This  is an old post, but hope you're still keeping an eye on it.  I have some more info on this family, though not a lot on my direct ancestor, which is frustrating.
David      1822, Alloa married 2 Jan 1841 to Elizabeth Anderson

John        1826, Alloa no more info
Margaret 1829, Alloa no more info

Isabella   1831, Alloa, died 18 Jun 1914 (Isabella, a widow, died at age 83, at 11:40 p.m. at 106 Mill Street, Selkirk) of intestinal obstruction
Married 2 Nov 1850, Tillcoultry, Clackmannanshire, Scotland to Alexander Stewart (b abt 1830 Brechin, Angus died before 1901)
They had (at least) 2 children:
Alexander Stewart b abt 1851Tillicoultry, Clackmannan, Scotland
David Stewart b abt 1854 Alloa, Clackmannan, Scotland

1851 sees Alexander, Isabella - both woollen weavers - Alex jnr, along with mother-in-law Margaret Anderson (aged 57), and a 2 yo William Anderson living at Stirling Street, Tillicoultry

1861 sees the family back in Brechen, Alexander's birthplace.  Margaret not with them.

1871 has Isabella and Alexander living at 15 Park Street, Tillicoultry
Alexander 41, Maunfacturer, employing 4 men and 2 boys
Alexander, son, unmarried, 20, Occupation "W....oster"
David, son, 17, Draper
Margaret McEwan, mother, widow, 79

In 1901, Isabella, widow, aged 69, was a Lodging House Keeper at Connel, (Kilmore&Kilbride??).  Living with her is her granddaughter, Mary A. Stewart, single, 19, Domestic Servant, b. Argykshire Tay....???  Was she the daughter of Alexander Jnr or David??

Then,
Ann          1833, Alloa. Emigrated to Australia - I have quite a bit of info on her and husband William Malcolm, and their descendants (12 Children)

My connection is that my g-g grandmother, Margaret Anderson, came to Geelong (Point Henry), Victoria on the ship "Childe Harold" in 1853, along with William and Ann MALCOLM, her aunt and uncle.  Supposedly, Margaret was the daughter of Jane/Jean Black, sister of Ann, and a James Anderson.  So far, I've found no proof of Jane/Jean's connection to the family and nothing confirmed on James Anderson.  This is my brick wall!

If you've discovered more on this line since your post, or would like what info I have on the Aussie connection, I hope we make some holes in our respective walls.
Haworth Healey Berry Jukes Whitley Preece Vigers Gray Grey Ricketts Tanner Watterson Anderson Black