Author Topic: John Farrow  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Farrow
« on: Sunday 06 October 13 07:53 BST (UK) »
I would like to find more information regarding my 3xgr grandfather, John Farrow.  He married Elizabeth Blinshall on 6/8/1815 in Dundee. Their son,John Blinshall Farrow, married Elizabeth McGlashan on 28/7/1843. John Blinshall Farrow was born on 15/11/1816 and died 25/10/1849 in Dundee. Their daughter, Ann Spence Farrow married John Nicoll on 25/11/1874 and their son John Boyd Nicoll was my grandfather.  I would be very grateful to hear if anyone has any info re John Farrow. Blinshall.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John Farrow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 October 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
I noticed on this the note which confused me. Does it mean his Father was deceased?

County   Forfarshire (Angus)
Place   Dundee
Church   Dundee X
RegisterNumber   16
DateOfBirth   15 Nov 1816
BaptismDate   10 Dec 1816
Forename   John Blinshall
Sex   M
FatherForename   John
MotherForename   Elizabeth
FatherSurname   FARRAW
MotherSurname   BLINSHALL   
FatherOccupation   Sailor
Notes   Posthumous; Named After Father And Mother; Harrow Written In Last Column
(Source FreeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 October 13 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,  Thank you for looking up FreeREG for me. I have not used that site before, but have just checked it out and I agree with you.  I think John Farrow must have died before his son, John Blinshall was born.  I had not found any other children of the marriage, so that would be why! I shall try to trace his death now.  Thanks for your time and interest.  Blinshall

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 October 13 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if this lady Elizabeth Blanshel age 50 at Dundee on 1841 Census is the widow of John Farrow having reverted (as was common) to her maiden name? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VY8X-DM6

Found her on Freecen as Blanshal-

Address Green Market, Dundee

John Blanshal          age 80   Coal Merchant     born outside census county
Elizabeth Blanshal    age 50                            born Angus
Ann   Blanshal         age 45                            born Angus
Eliza MacGregor       age 10                            born Angus
Margaret MacGregor age 10                            born Angus

No relationships or marital status on the 1841 :(

Can't find John Blinshall Farrow on the 1841, is it possible he was a sailor like his father??

Looby :)

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Angus MIs
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 October 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
from Dundee's Howff cemetery -

"1817. by John Blinshall shipmaster Dundee 24.2.1846 88 & w Ann Young  imo of his mo in law Elis Ritchie 1784 39, fa in law Wm Young gardener 1792 61, chn Anne, John & David, s in law John Farrow mariner 1816 32, the above Ann Young 27.5.1823 72.  Dedicated by Thos McGregor shipmaster Dundee & w Ann Blinshall imo chn Alex 31.3.1820 22m, Thos 9.2.1825 16m, Ann 12.12 1836 20y 5m, Eliza 1.4.1852 23y 4m, gs Geo Fleming Walker 28.10.1857 9m.  The above Thos McGregor 21.7.1858 65
(John Blinshall shipwright Dundee)".

The Friends of Dundee Archives site's Burial records might be worth trying.

www.fdca.org.uk

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Angus Mls,
Thank you very much for the info which you sent from the Howff Cemetery.  It contained new and confirming details which are most helpful.  Have just been introduced to the Friends of Dundee Archives site's Burial Records and find them very helpful.  I appreciate your time spent and interest.  Blinshall

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

Thanks for the info re Eliz. Blinshall on the 1841 Census.  I had found this previously and now with further info about the family, I'm sure it is her, plus her father and sister, Ann and her 2 daughters.Ann's husband was Thomas MacGregor who was a ship's captain on one of John Blinshall Farrow's vessels.  He was still alive at this stage and perhaps was away at sea. John Blionshall Farrow was a shipowner and possibly a mariner.  The picture is coming together, many thanks for your help. Blinshall

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
" s in law John Farrow mariner 1816 32 (age 32 I presume)

So looks like he did die.

John BLINSHALL Married Anne YOUNG. 22 June 1784, Dundee, Angus, Scotland
(F/S.Org)

Trish  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 October 13 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Breaky,

Thank you for the McGregor information.  It has certainly helped to fill in the 'Tree'.  Terrible to have so many children die at an early age!  I haven't come across "Blinshall" Small, but we keep it in mind.
Could I ask you for one more look up if you have the time and inclination?  In the 1861 Census, my gr gr grandmother Isabella Mackay was living with her son John Mackay/McKay and grandson Donald Mackay  at Buckelmaker Wynd, Dundee.  She is aged 87, born in 1774 at Melvich, Sutherland. When John Mackay re-married in 1863, the marriage registration states that she is deceased.  I thought it would be easy to find her death between those two dates,however, my search found no Isabella Mackay that fitted with her.  Her husband's name was Donald and I could find no other children that I could confidently claim. I'm wondering if she might appear on the Angus MI's.  I understand completely if you are not able to do this.  Blinshall