Author Topic: John Griffiths-Overton  (Read 5020 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Griffiths-Overton
« on: Tuesday 20 August 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
My relative John Griffiths was born in Overton Flintshire in 1829 according to the 1851 Census in Erbistock Denbighshire where he is given as the grandson of Edward Griffiths who was born in Erbistock in 1771.HO107/2503/12/17.

He is not showing in the 1841 Census in Overton Flintshire so must have been in Erbistock perhaps in 1841 which is one of the places that are missing.This John Griffiths was to go on to marry a Beatrice Wastall in 1854 in what is given on Shropshiire BMD as a Shrewsbury Register Office or Registrar Attended Marriage.

I have the following children for Edward Griffiths(1771) and his wife Sarah Harding;

Charlotte.Born 1800 Erbistock,Married a Richard Davies,First child Harriet born1834.
Catherine.Born 1802 Erbistock,No further info.
Edward,Born 1804 Erbistock,Married Eleanor Pugh,No date for marriage.No known children.
Susan.Born 1806 Erbistock,No further info.
Richard.Born 1809 Erbistock,Married Mary Unknown.First child Martha born 1837.
Mary.Born 1812 Erbistock.No further info.
Margaret.Born c 1813 Erbistock.Married William Evans.First child James born 1836.
Sarah.Born c 1814 Erbistock.Married Charles Wilson.First child Edward born 1835.
Charles.Born 1818 Overton.Married Elizabeth Lewis Oswestry 1848.First child Edward 1855.

I've tried to give as much info as I currently have and would very much welcome any details of John Griffiths's birth or Baptism in 1829 plus any of the obvious missing marriage dates.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Griffiths-Overton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
The first amendment to my original post is that though there was very strong Census info for suggesting that Edward(1804)'s wife Eleanor was surnamed Pugh it appears that Edward did in fact marry an Eleanor Jones at Erbistock in 1828.It also appears that Sarah(1814) married the Charles Wilson in 1833 at Erbistock.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

Would they have been baptised / married at Erbistock itself, or Overton?? On a brief look I can't find anything at Erbistock.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

Would they have been baptised / married at Erbistock itself, or Overton?? On a brief look I can't find anything at Erbistock.

Deirdre

Thanks Deirdre,they may well have alternated for Baptisms etc at either Erbistock or Overton.In addition to  the people I've mentioned I am also looking for any info concerning a John Griffiths born c 1798 and a Samuel Griffiths born c 1808.Both possibly born in Erbistock.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again William,

Records I have access to only go to 1812 which didn't help my initial searches! So I won't find any marriages for the children born post 1800 sorry.

Found John Griffiths... son of John and Sarah his wife, born 6 March, baptised 18 March 1798 at Erbistock.

No Samuel at Erbistock, but one in 1811 at Overton (son of Richard and Sarah). Assume this is not the one you're looking for? 

Baptisms at Erbistock to Edward and Sarah:
Charlotte, born 19 Feb 1800, baptised 4 May
Catherine, born 1 Oct 1802, baptised 7 Oct
Edward, born 26 Oct 1804, baptised 25 Nov
Guess the rest will be there too, do you need dates or do you have them already?

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again William,

Records I have access to only go to 1812 which didn't help my initial searches! So I won't find any marriages for the children born post 1800 sorry.

Found John Griffiths... son of John and Sarah his wife, born 6 March, baptised 18 March 1798 at Erbistock.

No Samuel at Erbistock, but one in 1811 at Overton (son of Richard and Sarah). Assume this is not the one you're looking for? 

Baptisms at Erbistock to Edward and Sarah:
Charlotte, born 19 Feb 1800, baptised 4 May
Catherine, born 1 Oct 1802, baptised 7 Oct
Edward, born 26 Oct 1804, baptised 25 Nov
Guess the rest will be there too, do you need dates or do you have them already?

Deirdre

Thanks Deirdre,as far as the Samuel born in Overton you found,he is a first cousin of all the children of Edward and Sarah.Edward and Richard born in 1775 in Erbistock were brothers.This Samuel is also my Greatx2-Grandfather.

As far as the Samuel I spoke of in my last message,looking again at Census entries it is only the 1861 Census entry that gives him as born in Erbistock.The other Census years show him born in Ruabon and married to a Mary.

As to whether the John(1798) is connected to my family really depends on who the John his father was!The earlier John Griffiths I have connected to the family was an Uncle for the Edward and Richard being born in Erbistock in 1749.I have this John marrying a Phoebe Thomas but I am yet to find any children of their marriage.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire